Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Morphing a Map Over Time

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If you're going to animate it then flash is the way to go but if all you want to do is show how the borders change over time then just make the physical map and save it then make copies with the various boundary changes, then compile them all together into one large image that shows like 4 maps.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'm not so sure about the flash thing. Gif's 256 color limit for something like this really should be enough, and like Steel General said, flash is a pain, on the developer, and sometimes the user's end. If anything, you can't attach easily viewable flash content here, or many other places for that matter.

Flash has its uses, but for a non-interactive image... nah.

Guild Adept

Should be able to do something with GIMP animation if all you want is an animated GIF. If you just want something that you can control, then do a terrain map as a background and each era is a new layer above it. That way you can turn on and off the layers to demonstrate the era you currently have in mind.

You could even make it a short movie clip that gets played on the REPEAT setting on your player. Since all you are doing is changing which area of the map is highlighted (with legend text) then it shouldn't be too hard I'd imagine. Of course I have never done anything of the sort, so take my opinion with a truckload of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Notsonoble View Post
    I'm not so sure about the flash thing. Gif's 256 color limit for something like this really should be enough,
    If you want a simple line map with solid fills, sure. Antialiasing really eats up your colors, though, and if you want to do something fancy like Mercator-style faded edge political borders, then you're into gradients, which take still more colors. To say nothing of using a shaded relief map underneath. Gif might be an okay place to start, but I think its limits will come into play very quickly.

'Tis true that there are some accessibility issues with Flash. The development problems aren't a big deal, though, really. As long you're not creating an interface or doing something fancy like that, it's pretty easy to get along with: vector drawing tools and keyframe animation. Only a bit tougher than learning Inkscape or Illustrator, in my opinion.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Applicant

Wow, this is all so much for me to take in! I have read all the options. I must apologize to say i really don't have any clue where to start. I know some flash and i am a programmer so i can work with javascripting.

Any suggestions on where to begin making these maps? what might be a good beginner step?

RobA, i'd also be interested in learning more about how you do it with Javascript/example you might have...

rekaj

Here is an example I cobbled up with the china map at wikipedia:

http://ffaat.pointclark.net/test/mapdemo.html

You will have to wait for all the images to load (I didn't bother with a prefetch).

I just created thumbnails across the bottom, but those images could be replaced with a timeline set of graphics.

Alternately, this could be animated with some javascript.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Interesting, didn't realize that could be done with CSS.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

hmm to add my two cents, RobA's idea seems a nice way and if you know java it shouldnt be a problem for you.
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12