Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morphing a Map Over Time

Guild Applicant

Question Morphing a Map Over Time

First post ever!

I wish i knew a better way to describe this....

What do you call the type of map that shows changes to an Empire over time?... for example, with the Roman empire, the map might start with the city of Rome at a certain date, then expand to all of Italy later, then end with the furthest extent of Rome at a later year.

I feel like there has to be a name for this type of time based morphing map.

Here is an example....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:T...s_in_China.gif

rekaj

Post Idk

Good question, I don't really know the answer, though I'm sure there is one and one of our more scholarly members might be aware. A map chronicle, perhaps?

Welcome to the Guild! You should probably post an intro in the Intro Forum, just above this one.

Have some Rep (reputation) for asking a map question I couldn't answer!

Again, welcome.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Nice new badge there, GP!

I'm not sure if that kind of map has a specific name. Perhaps we should give it one ourselves. Political time lapse map? Imperial expansimation? (That's expansion crossed with animation.)

Ooh! Then we could turn it into a verb: I like the way you expansimated that map. And we could have a new specialty among cartographers: "What do I do for a living? I'm an expansimator."
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Ooh! Then we could turn it into a verb: I like the way you expansimated that map. And we could have a new specialty among cartographers: "What do I do for a living? I'm an expansimator."
    LOL! I'd have spit out my drink if I had one when I read that.

'Political Time-Lapse Map' is good, how about expanding it to "Geo-Political Time-Lapse Mapping", though I really do like Expansimated.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Nice new badge there, GP!
    Yeah, but it seems like a cross between the "Being Geologically Correct Award and the Anal Retentive Award"! Still it is shiny!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ooo, gotta get me one of those.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Applicant

Well, i guess let's coin one...or at least pending existence of a real name.

If i may,
    From henceforth, barring rejection by forum....This type of map shall be called a Geo-Political Time-Lapse Map with a nickname of GPTL map or...expansimator

My next question is...Does anyone know a map person/user whom I should ask to get more information about making advanced GPTL maps? (a beginner's gotta start somewhere)

I think selecting a name makes you the resident expert. I'm thinking the best tool for an expansimation would be Flash. You could do animated gifs, like the one you presented, but you'll have far more options in Flash, plus you'll get to use more colors (gifs being limited to 256 colors in each frame).
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I agree Midgard, FLASH would probably be best. I did a small bit of FLASH development a few years ago. Cool stuff, but way to time consuming for my liking.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast