Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Around Here

Guild Novice

Post New Around Here

Hello All,

My name is Michael. I just joined this forum. My interest in cartography is for mapping my fantasy world for D&D and stories. I don't have much artistic talent but in the past I have drawn maps by hand. I recently purchased Fractal Terrains and Campaign Cartographer in the hopes that they could help me make some higher quality maps. Unfortunately, the learning curves for these two programs is steeper than I had anticipated and the accompanying manuals are not helping much.

Actually, I haven't played with CC that much yet as I am still trying to figure out FT. I was wondering if anyone here knows of a better Fractal Terrains tutorial that what is provided with the software. Also, is there perhaps an even better program than Fractal Terrains for generating real looking worlds? Because so far the worlds I've generated in FT don't look very real to me. But maybe that's just me not using the right settings.

My ultimate desire is to have my whole world in digital form and when I need regional maps I just zoom in on the required area and generate a new map.

Post Welcome!

Welcome to the Guild!

Don't be too harsh with FT, as Waldronate, a member here is the developer of that application, and the free Wilbur app as well.

I'm sure one of local FT experts and CC3 experts will get you on your way.

Theres lots of other apps to consider as well, many free, like GIMP.

Again, welcome.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Welcome aboard

I think we got a few nice CC tutorials on this site. At least for me, the best way to learn a new app is by doing a few tutorials.
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

I hereby banish your 'Blue Pip O'Anonimity'! *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Hi Duarthei, theres a keyword index link in my sig for threads about stuff. Theres CC3 and FT lists with tutorials and stuff too. A few people have said that those have unlocked the potential of it. You could check out Wilbur too, also by Waldronate which jezelf and others have had more success with. You could check out L3DT too - maybe thats a different direction for you which might work.

Welcome to the Guild.Any questions on CC3, just shout out and I will answer what I can.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Welcome to the Guild, Duarthei. This is the right place if you have any questions about the various mapping software that is out there. There are many knowledgeable and friendly people here.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Guild Novice

Thanks for the welcomes. I will try not to be too harsh on Fractal Terrains. I'm sure it's a powerful program, I'm just having trouble figuring it out. Hopefully I will learn more here.

Quote Originally Posted by Duarthei View Post
    Hello All,

My name is Michael. I just joined this forum..
    Hi Michael, I'm new here too.

Unfortunately, the learning curves for these two programs is steeper than I had anticipated.
    That was my experience when I first started with CC. I found FT easier to figure out, though, since I had been using CC for awhile by then.

Actually, I haven't played with CC that much yet as I am still trying to figure out FT.
    I don't know if it would help, but you might try mastering CC first, and then go back to FT. I know that's backwards from your plan, but it might be worth a try.

Also, is there perhaps an even better program than Fractal Terrains for generating real looking worlds? Because so far the worlds I've generated in FT don't look very real to me. But maybe that's just me not using the right settings.
    I don't know. I went through a lot of iterations trying to find one that I liked, changing the settings to get different results. That wasn't as much on account of the realism as just not being inspired by what I was seeing. How many have you generated so far?

My ultimate desire is to have my whole world in digital form and when I need regional maps I just zoom in on the required area and generate a new map.
    You make it sound so easy.
    El Hakim, the Wandering Dwarf

"El Hakim--the Learned One--the other slaves called him, because at night, when they were allowed to rest for a few hours upon the rowers' benches and lie looking up at the skies, he would sometimes talk of the fabulous lands that lay to the east." --Frank Slaughter, The Mapmaker

Welcome to the Guild. Check out the software section for different types of app that we use to make maps. FT is a great program, but I think it really shines when it's used in conjunction with a raster editor. Also, look around for the free FT add-on (I'm having a senior moment and can't remember what it's called), but it gives you very beautiful Gaia effects. The author of the add-on is on these forums and he will be able to help you get the most out of FT as will Waldronate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast