Thread: GIMP script: Random cave generator

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post GIMP script: Random cave generator

Here's a random cave generator I just wrote with GIMP's script-fu; it's basically a reimplementation of my online cave generator, except instead of using the old-school TSR blue style with a grid, this was designed to be used with RobA's subterranean map prettier script.

This is only my second attempt at GIMP scripting, and it's only the first draft, so no doubt I've done something stupid somewhere; advice from more experienced scripters is welcome (is there really no floating-point random number generator? No pi?).

I've attached a map made with my script, followed by the result of scaling it by 200% and applying RobA's script (grid size 15, all other parameters default).

Installation and use:

Once you've installed the .scm file in your gimp scripts directory, it's accessible under Xtns / Script-Fu / Utils (if there's a more appropriate place to put it let me know, and let me know how).

Parameters: image size (the dimensions of the image in pixels), number of random walks (the caves are excavated by drunken dwarves), and length of the walks. Default values should work well enough.

The code is free -- do with it what you will.

I hope you enjoy it, and feedback is always welcome.

Updated: Version 0.3.1 - fixed error with grid toggle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step1.png 
Views:	437 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	8260   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step2.jpg 
Views:	1103 
Size:	193.1 KB 
ID:	8261  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by isomage; 12-11-2008 at 03:02 PM. Reason: New version
    My random map generators and GIMP scripts: http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isomage/