Thread: [unpaid] Mapify my Map

Post [unpaid] Mapify my Map

Greetings all. I am presently working on my personal campaign setting, Brenham, and have been using AutoREALM to design the overland map. Its present incarnation is presented here: Map of Brenham

I like what I have thus far, but I'd like to find someone who can take this map to the next level. I do believe I've fleshed it out into about everything I'd like in the overland map, at this point I'd just like it to look more like a good, D&D-worthy map, better textures, blended terrain, etc. I'm not particularly picky concerning a style, as long as it basically looks better than what I've done.

As stated, it would be an unpaid project, perhaps something good for your portfolio to illustrate how you can improve an existing work. I can provide the original AutoREALM files as well if you'd want to modify what's in there. I'm a big fan of CreativeCommons licensing, so I would prefer the work you create be CC open in some method. My work is Attribution-Share Alike.

You can read more about the setting at the link above, perhaps draw a bit of inspiration from it, unfinished as it is. If you're interested, share your results here, or contact me off-board. Thanks!

Guild Journeyer

Interesting, if I had more time I wouldn't mind trying. Sadly the best I can do is point out a few issues I see to give you something to think about.

1. River on the far right. Too long to stay so close to the shore before breaking out. Given indentations in coasts like that at Shipman's Cove are often seen as parts of valleys that extend inward from that point, I would expect the river to break out from there, not continue south. I would kind of expect at least one good sized river flowing out from the center of the map to drain that region. Even with smaller rivers that might not be shown, it seems odd they wouldn't flow together enough to warrant a spot on the map like others. Now, if there was a high fold in the bedrock, a series of large hills running along the coast that funneled the river south, rather than letting it break east, then you would be golden.

The lake in the north, seems to be fed from nothing, and flow to no where. Rivers do flow through deserts, and I can cite several cases for very dry and nearly dead looking deserts with a large river flowing through them. Extend the river north, and put a hint of green on either side of it in the desert. (Or write in the description how the river fades into the sand, and use it as some pusdo plot device.) Also add rivers flowing up from the south to feed the lake.

You have a set of large mountains in the west, and one river flowing out of them? I would suggest adding more flowing away from mountains, put the heaviest rivers on which ever side the wind would hit first on most days.

Good luck.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I started on something yesterday, not sure if I'll have time to finish it, but will post something in the next day or two.

I assumed that the areas outside of Brenham were either unknown or unmapped hence the seeming lack of sources for the rivers.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yes, the cartographers of Brenham have not had cause to venture into the cursed land of Arcalvane, the veridian mazes of Saesti'aira, or the deserts of the Outlands.

I look forward to seeing your results!

--
    Avery

Map My take based on the original

OK, here's something I whipped up in a few hours between things at work.

Not sure if its what you were after, but I generally go for the more artsy/painterly/textured style maps.

The buildings etc., I grabbed from the CivFanatics forum, I felt they worked pretty well with the map, and I wanted to try something a little different.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brenham.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	8320  

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks pretty good SG. I wonder if I could adapt some of those CivFanatics things for my island...it never crossed my mind for some reason (and I'm always over there). What's that font? It's on the tip of my tongue but I can't quite remember it (not the Papyrus one the techy one)...I wanna say Resident Evil but not sure. It fits well too.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

You are correct sir (on both counts), the more abundant font is indeed Resident Evil, and I only used Papyrus on the other label as R.E. doesn't appear to have an apostrophe.

I would imagine you'd be able to find something @ Civfanatics that would work, some were easy to use (since Civ uses that magenta color as transparent, others I had to do some selecting, deleting, etc. They are small enough and blend into the background well enough that I didn't need to be perfect.
    Last edited by Steel General; 12-10-2008 at 06:13 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

So many amateur fontmakers, so few full sets. Ah, oui, c'est la vie.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

That is phenomenal, SG! Precisely what I wanted! Thank you!

I'd like to post it on the wiki, if you'd permit. How can I attribute to you?

--
    Avery

Your welcome, glad you like it. Go ahead and post it.

You can credit me as: Steel General of Cartographer's Guild.com I'm Ok with the general Creative Commons license.

Or if you want to do something more post a couple more times and send me a PM. You have to have at least 5 posts before it becomes available to you.