Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Garnok region of Baldimar

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I manually put in the squiggly lines I am afraid. No trick to those maps, just time with a pen. However as long as you have a pen and a few minutes, it doesn't take too long to put them in.

Small (hugh time wise) update....Not sure where I want to go next after adding in some mountains.... suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forest.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	3.25 MB 
ID:	8217  
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I can't say I'm enchanted about the forest but the mountains are beautiful. The forests just look a bit too flat for an iso type map. Putting a crinkly edge on the forest and maybe a clearing or two would really help with the edge definition. Here is a little screegrab of part of Torstan's latest WIP which shows it much better than I can tell it.

Name:	forest1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	8218  

A few small updates.... added some noise to the forests and added a lake/ocean/whatever.....

Name:	Forest.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	8231  
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 12-06-2008 at 09:46 PM.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

It is a little early for this, but if you want to keep the canvas texture, when the map is done use the same texture to perform a displacement on the inking and colour. I did a similar thing for my lymeport map (see post 4) and feel that, while subtle, it makes the map look less computer drawn

-Rob A>

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

It's looking great, though I agree that the forest is not-quite-there-yet.

Previously, by adding the shadows and highlight, the forest really seemed to have a lot of definition. Now with all the noice from the parchment background and whatnot, I think that definition has been lost somewhat. I'd suggest going back and beefing up the shadows and highlights around the edges of the forest.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Another Lunch time update. I had planned on working on either swamps or a cliff face on the waterline, but decided to bite the bullet and go for the forest since no one seems to like the existing. Hopefully, this is more in line with Torstans style now and its much more defined. I started on the interior and found I was putting TOO much roundness and texture so it looked kind of blocky and fake, so I went back and redrew it with some more randomness on the interior. Anyone every trying to draw some random squiggly lines with a damn trackball? It's hard!(I am at work and don't have my tablet.)

I think next I will add some more mountains up at the top, specifically with the full snow covered style, then work on a small cliff perhaps before going on to the swamp.

EDIT - I modified the map to reduce the hue and saturation of the forest colors.

Name:	ParchmentMap.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	8249  
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 12-08-2008 at 01:39 PM.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Now yer cookin. Looks really nice and I especially like how "real" this feels...like I drew out some lines with a feather quill and used some watercolors to fill in the wash.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

More changes. I added a road leading through the hills to the mountains, and it will also end up running through the new hills I just added and lead... somewhere.....

Name:	ParchmentMap.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	8256  
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Yeah, this is looking great, now! The forests are now beautiful! The mountains Rock! The path is cool!

All is well with the world.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast