Thread: Kindom of Targa

Post Kindom of Targa

novaTOPO was busy again.
    This time the "Kingdom of Targa" has been mapped.
    Targa is a micronation like my Gran Novara and is mapped on OIK and CartA.

It´s made by Inkscape, the shaded-relief is a pixel-based inlay made by PS.
    Hope you like it.

The map of Targa
    Last edited by Ruedy; 12-09-2008 at 06:57 PM.

I like it quite a lot! Now I'm wishing I'd approached my current Illustrator project like that--I think it would look much nicer. I may yet go back and change it.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's a lovely map. This is an excellent motivation for taking up inkscape and trying to produce something in this style. Very pretty.

Post I could do this in Xara!

I really like those mountains! I think I could create this entire map in Xara, including those mountains - gives me some inspiration as well. Have some REP for pointing out this style of map!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Very nice, very clean. Well done.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Man! Everytime I see these maps I feel like I am turning pages of a Rand-McNally Atlas. well done sir!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Journeyer

Very well done! looks great!

Is there some alternate earth thing? CartA has some similarities to earth - North America, Africa, Europe - particuarly italy.

anyway - nice work, great colours. I too like the way you've done those mountains.

Praise Comments on Al Targa

Hello, Ruedy.

If there is one thing that stands out to me concerning Al Targa is the clean and crisp lines of the map. I most definitely want to completment you on your neatness in your map-making.

Beyond that, the map is what I would refer to as a functional work of art. Functional in the sense that it is informatory, detailed enough to find the most important information without being cluttered and a very useful reference. A work of art in that it is beautifuly done with excellent elevation data and a superb road layout for the traveler to use.

I am quite interested in the methodolgy you used to create the map. I really like your symbol use as well as your terrain notations -- eleveations, mountains, waterways, land forms, etc. What applications / techniques did you use to create your map?

Very well done. Thanks for sharing your project.

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

Thanx@all.

@ Jezelf: No, it´s not an altnernate world-project. All nations on the map are board-based and virtual nations. Some of them have partially role models of real world... for example the "italy" - randomly my own nation - choosed the landscape to use some satirical stereotype of italy. The prospect know at once what waits for him. Wine, sunglasses and the "godfather"...

@ Vandy: Sorry, english is not my mother-tongue. So I have really problems to articulate those intricate things understandable.
    I tried it in an other thread:

"Create ten or fourteen altitude stages in inkscape(b / w, with the lowest black, white represents the highest point), Gaussian Blur, on Alpha channel expose, which already has one shadow. Shadow-level color level set, mode: Multiply, opacity adjust. Some things, such as rivers, but you have to manually refine.
    At last I do the fine parts in a new layer with sharp tool in black contrasts, then negative-multiplication (Screen) an set Layer Style to Bevel and Emboss."