Thread: Map of Dolmen Isle [commissioned]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Post Map of Dolmen Isle [commissioned]

This map was created for a commission from the mapmaking requests forum. The brief was to create a line art, black and white map that would look good printed at 11" by 17" at 300dpi. The request was for an island and a sketch was provided showing where the different elements needed to go.

This was a joy to complete and a great chance to pin down a style that I had started to play with on a map for a book. The large format and high resolution of this commission gave me a lot more freedom to play with detail and texturing than a low resolution book map. The basic land forms were laid down and the main features outlined using the in tool. Then rather than going in to colour the map as I would normally do, I went through it texturing the different elements. I am particularly happy with the isometric mountains that feel like they give a proper focal point to the map.

Thanks to everyone who chipped in with useful comments and encouragement while I was putting this together, and thanks to Nonsequitur for commissioning it!

Here's the final map at full and web resolutions.

Full:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Island4.jpg 
Views:	8845 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	8313

Web:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IslandSmall.jpg 
Views:	580 
Size:	328.1 KB 
ID:	8314

Here's the WIP thread:
    [Commission Piece] Map of an Island

and here's the commission thread:
    [Paid, send PM] Island-Based Campaign Map

Edit: Maps replaced with new isometric icons after RobA's comment which kept me honest!
    Last edited by RobA; 04-11-2013 at 11:59 AM.