Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Map This! - Cartography Services

Post Personal Replies and a Decision

Personal Replies

Steel General: Interesting screen name... Thanks for your comment.

Ascension: I appreciate your commenting on my maps. Gonzo Bay is a very old map -- one of the first I ever made. You can find it on the Simtropolis STEX.

Redrobes: Thank you so much for your enjoyable comments. I really need to stoping being a "cheap so-and-so" and purchase World Machine Standard which takes away the resolution restriction.

Once I've created the SC4 map, it is ready to be used in SimCity for regional development. This includes creating farms, villages, towns, cities, "laying down" various flora, etc. all using either Maxis-supplied or member-created custom content.

I have used Wilbur. It is a really interesting application and one with which I have had quite a bit of fun.

I'll have to read through your "Thatching for Dummies" thread as well as check out your height maps. Thanks!

Korash: Thanks for your comment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to take a moment and let you know I believe I've decided upon the first "project" I'm going to attempt as a member of the Cartographers' Guild.

I'm quite taken by Pyrandon's tutorial entitled An "Artistically Accurate" RPG City Map in PhotoShop.

So much so that I am going to use this tutorial to create my first Cartographers' Guild project. I do have PhotoShop and Paint Shop Pro and have downloaded GIMP as well as Inkscape. I'm sure that between these great applications and following the tutorial, I will be able to produce a good Medieval City Map with Surronding Countryside.

I'll post my progress in this thread and do look forward to your comments and constructive critisicm.

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

You should actually start a new thread for the new map so that the thread can be rated. Note the stars up at the top. It will also allow you to properly tag the thread. Note the comment in my signature and the tags link at the bottom of the thread.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Definitely a lovely set of maps. I'm looking forward to seeing the city project you come up with. I have to say that I remain a little in awe of people who create these photo-realistic maps.

Hello, All.

Based on the above post from RP Miller, I shall confine posts to this thread to information concerning my existing and any new SimCity 4 maps.

As soon as I have "enough together", I shall open a new thread in which to show any WIP on my first CG project -- a medieval city.

Regards,

Gary
    © May 29, 1980

You can add tags to this thread by clicking the Edit Tags link in the bottom right.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Wip Introducing Klimarnock's Ruhba for SimCity 4

Hello, All.

I would like to formally introduce my latest SimCity 4 map -- Klimarnock's Ruhba. Many of you have been following the development of a city map I'm developing by the same name in my "Introducing Klimarnock's Ruhba - Vandy's first CG Map" thread which I've now cross-linked to from this thread.

I developed my map first using SC4Terraformer but then found I wasn't able to use the height map. Rather than drop the map, I went ahead and "hand developed" the terrain for the city map.

Since I already had the necessary files to complete a SimCity 4 map of Klimarnock's Ruhba, I decided to finish it and release it as a SimCity 4 map.

Klimarnock's Ruhba will end up being two types of map -- one, a city map (being developed in the thread previously mentioned( and the other, a regional map (the one I'm showing in this thread).

When both maps are finished, I will combiine them in a single thread that will be placed in the Finished Maps forum.

To close this post, here are two views of the SimCity 4 version of Klimarnock's Ruhba (both views are from the SC4Terraformer application):

SC4TF 2D View

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC4TF_2D.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	9531

SC4TF 3D View

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SC4TF_3D.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	9532

My next step is to render the map in SimCity 4. Once I've done so, I'll post a picture of the SimCity 4 rendered map.

Have a great day!

Regards,

Gary
    © May 29, 1980

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That looks great...got me itching to re-install all of my old Sim City stuff and pump out some elevations. I find it easier to use than Terragen and World Machine and other such things.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Info Creating SimCity 4 Maps

Hi, Ascension. A couple of things for you.

1) I would strongly suggest you check out the SC4Terraformer application. It is THE PREMIER application to use to create SimCity 4 applications.

2) If you are a member of Simtropolis, I would suggest checking the OmniMaps - Mapping and Terraforming Information section of the Simtropolis Omnibus for some good information. I moderate, write and maintain the articles in this section of the Omnibus. Specifically, I would have you check out the Mappling Applications and Mapping Tools article for the location(s) to download SC4Terraformer.

3) If you are a member of SC4Devotion, you can download SC4Terraformer from the LEX (registration is required).

4) You don't have to have SimCit 4 installed to use SC4Terraformer. Read the Using SC4Terraformer without SimCity 4 article in OmniMaps for further information.

Good luck and I look forward to any maps you create and care to share.

Regards,

Gary
    © May 29, 1980

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Thanks V. I was a lurking member at The Underground for SC3k, mainly I was doing buildings and skinning other people's buildings. Will check out this new info and play around a bit. I have an old version of terraformer on my old pc, sitting somewhere in my shop so I'll have to blow off the dust and clean out the cobwebs and fire that slow boy up
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I wonder if its possible to create a map via photoshop then get someone to covert it to World Machine , and if so the requirements to make it a smooth transition

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12