Map (Click to enlarge)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dolmen.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	331.4 KB 
ID:	109564

Created in: Gimp

Review

Our latest Cartographers' Choice Award goes to Torstan for his map of Dolmen Isle. This stunning map is hand drawn and shows the artistic abilities and sensibilities that Torstan brings to every map that he creates and they only keep getting better.

Done in black and white the map truly draws you in and compels you to explore it in detail looking at how each element of the map was drawn and as you zoom back out it is a joy to see those small details form into a true masterpiece of art. The focus of the map being the mountains also pulls you in and takes you on a journey out to see past cascading waterfalls and thick forests and once there it is easy to be drawn back to the mountains only to then venture off in a different direction to explore.

I very much look forward to the next map from this skilled cartographer and artist.

Artist's Notes
    This map was created for a commission from the mapmaking requests forum. The brief was to create a line art, black and white map that would look good printed at 11" by 17" at 300dpi. The request was for an island and a sketch was provided showing where the different elements needed to go.

This was a joy to complete and a great chance to pin down a style that I had started to play with on a map for a book. The large format and high resolution of this commission gave me a lot more freedom to play with detail and texturing than a low resolution book map. The basic land forms were laid down and the main features outlined using the in tool. Then rather than going in to colour the map as I would normally do, I went through it texturing the different elements. I am particularly happy with the isometric mountains that feel like they give a proper focal point to the map.

Original Thread
    Click here to view the original thread and find additional links to the WIP thread.
    Last edited by ChickPea; 08-17-2018 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Changed image to an attachment, so that it will show in the CC Awards thumbnails gallery
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Post Nice map

Looks very similar to Tolkien's I like it

fantastic map indeed

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Wow - now that's some thread necromancy I'm glad you like it. I'm now working on a commission in a similar style in colour.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm glad it was necroed...love those forests and mountains.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Thanks! I'm still really pleased with this map. Certainly one of my favourite private commissions.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

Beautiful map!

Guild Journeyer

It's a very distinct style.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Guild Novice Sings-With-Spirits's Avatar

The dolmens are actually quite inspirational.