Hello everyone.

I was referred here by Torstan in a post he map concerning my map rebuilding project for my setting. I've been starting with building height maps and using the shaded relief technique in photoshop on one layer, then retaining the vector based contour lines. The goal is to create a GoogleMaps like interface to the campaign setting where the DM and players can look up information on the world through the maps or other context. His exact post on ENWorld was...

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
That looks really good.

I'd definitely suggest dross-posting to thecartographersguild.com. There are some people over there who have a lot of experience with this sort of thing. There's a thread on importing your maps into google earth software. Equally one of the regulars - Redrobes - has created a panning and zooming map viewer. If nothing else, he'll be able to give you some very detailed advice for your project.

There's also a program called Wilbur that can take a height map such as yours and do the erosion on it to give realistic river flow and eroded mountains. Some people have got some truly startling results with it and the developer keeps up with the forums so if there are problems then they get answered really quickly.

Unfortunately I am a raster art person myself and I hand draw my maps in Gimp so I can't be too much help directly, but definitely introduce yourself over on the Guild. They're a really nice bunch.
The maps he's referring to have been placed in my profile gallery. Now I'm going to go and see if I can track down some of these tools / posts he mentioned.