Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ISO city "icons"??

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    As for the laptop - my old one has some form of warranty still in place so I'm going to try to get it fixed. Until I determine that there's really no point in buying a new one - especially not before Christmas. So as much as I want a new laptop - and that really shouldn't be underestimated! - I certainly can't justify buying one before January.

ugh... you know it will most likely take 4-(or more) weeks to get a repaired machine back right? You also know we can't wait that long to see more of your great work!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Yep, at least. HP only repairs my laptop in the UK and I'm only in the UK until early January. Odds of me getting the laptop beck before I get on a plane? Small to none I'd have thought, so I'm going to have to wait until family and friends come over later in the month to get it back. Hardware failure sucks.

I may just break and buy a new one in early January anyway. My current machine is a little on the under-specced side for my current needs.

Apologies for derailing the thread. As soon as I have some form of machine I can work on, I'll have a shot at some basic iso symbols.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Yea.. I just noticed the finished map you posted up and your reply here. I went over there, and while there are some fantastic models, they are really not in a format I can use naively. Is there some type of utility that somewhere that will convert them to png that I have not found yet?
    I would think that any graphics program can handles the .PCXs. The ones I had used on that map I edited on my own. Some are easy to do (Civ uses a basic magenta as its transparency so the .pcx files with that color background are a breeze), the others are a result of careful color selection and deleting.

As for the licensing, I found some posts related to the Creative Commons licensing, but nothing absolutely definitive, so I would think its OK to use them for non-commercial puposes.
    Last edited by Steel General; 12-15-2008 at 01:14 PM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I know Nicu's inkscape gallery has been linked before, but I'll include it again for you!

-Rob A>

Thanks a ton Rob! Those are great. At least for the map I am work on right now, I prefer something like this with limited colors to something like on the Civ forums which has tons of shading, so this will be a great help also. I had even thought about taking a spin in Inkscape to see what I could come up with and I will most likely end up with an amalgamation of symbols from several sources for my final map.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

For those Civ icons, buildings, terrain, etc I use PakBuild to extract the pac files (sort of like zip files). Then I use NifSkope to view the 3d images...it's mainly a viewer (camera angles, zoom, etc) with some very minor editing capabilities. For making skins for said models I just use Photoshop. Pakbuild is a lil wonky and counter-intuitive but it works just fine once you figure it out. And for some reason Pakbuild seems to only work for the Civ stuff, it doesn't work with other games that use pak files...much to my dismay. I hear that it can be used for those Doom-type first-person shoot-em-ups but I can't remember which ones...it was a long time ago when I stumbled across that forum and the link.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    I would think that any graphics program can handles the .PCXs. The ones I had used on that map I edited on my own. Some are easy to do (Civ uses a basic magenta as its transparency so the .pcx files with that color background are a breeze), the others are a result of careful color selection and deleting.

As for the licensing, I found some posts related to the Creative Commons licensing, but nothing absolutely definitive, so I would think its OK to use them for non-commercial puposes.
    Thats odd... the ones I downloaded were .dds and .nif files for each "building", and GIMP did not know what to do with either of those...
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

hmm can you use those Civ icons for free or are they more less for personal use only?

Could you give me a link to such a file JF? That site is loading a bit slow for me...
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Try going to the download forums, the ones I used were from the Civ III section.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenlicht View Post
    hmm can you use those Civ icons for free or are they more less for personal use only?

Could you give me a link to such a file JF? That site is loading a bit slow for me...
    Here is one that I kind of liked with some temple/castle type buildings for various cultures....

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=11128

Based on something Ascension said in another thread, I found and downloaded NifScope, but there does not seem to be a way to export from that app to PNG, so I am not really sure what to do from here.....
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast