Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Pass at a Political Map in CC3

What version of FF? I think we recently discovered the newest version has problems with PNGs while the older version does not. I'm running FF 1.5.0.4.

The odd thing is that all three are PNG's. Although, the bottom two are straight out of CC3, the top one I resampled. Let me try resampling in Adobe and then throw them up again.
    Dean

\"Nonsense, your only saying that because no-one ever has!\"

Yep that is it. The PNG's that are coming right out of CC3 are giving the current version of Firefox Grief. So a quick resample before thowing them up is in order for now.

I think I saw a thread on a PNG issue on the CC-2 list.
    Dean

Yup. Perhaps you should draw the list's attention to this thread?

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by deanatglobe
    Okay, I did some tweaking of colors, I threw a texture on the border sheet. but am not seeing too big of difference.
    <snip>
    I really like the edge effect in the new look. The softer colors give the map a more antique feel, matching the feel of the rest of the map, imo.
    If I may, I would try an effect with the text to make it stand out just a bit more.

eric
    [edit] LOVE the compass rose! Did you draw that?

Thanks, I actually do have a 'glow' on the text that is the same color as the parchment to make a gap where there are symbols. I may try making it bigger.

The compass rose I'll check where it came from. It may have come from some of the symbols in the Tome of Ultimate Mapping samples.

Thanks
    Dean

Guild Novice
    Traversing the fistulas of cyclopean space...

Fabulous map, Dean! I love the simple lines of it and the dabs of colour really complement it. I particularly like Clan Finn, as that is what we named our 3 week old son! (Finn, not Clan Finn!)

Are all the terrain symbols from CC3’s standard library?

I wonder whether some very faint coastline markings (broken lines indicating the edge of the sea) might add to the map; possibly this might just detract from the simple elegance, though.

Another thought: although the patterned border you have looks fine, I bet this map would also really suit a ragged parchment type effect with a few burn marks – can you do that in CC3? Easy enough in Photoshop.

Great job!

Cheers,

Shadowfane

The Symbols are mostly from Symbol Set 1, and a few from some samples from 'The Tome of Ultimate Mapping'.

I agree on the map border. I believe I will be able to make a ragged parchment look and even have an idea for burn marks and crease lines. Should not be too difficult with the effects in CC3.

Thanks
    Dean

It looks like either you fixed the PNGs or the latest FF update fixed them. They are working great now. Anyway, I will echo the comments above. I really like that finished look you ended up with. Well done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12