Thread: Random catacombs -- maybe

Post Random catacombs -- maybe

I was just playing around with writing a random catacombs generator (using stochastic L-systems), and happened to get a result which looked half-decent. Then I thought it'd look better on parchment, so I had a go at RobA's parchment tutorial.

If I can manage to get the generator consistently producing good results maybe I'll script the whole thing up in GIMP or something. Until then, here's a preview.

Comments and suggestions appreciated (all it's doing so far is corridors and small rooms).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catacombs.png 
Views:	207 
Size:	569.6 KB 
ID:	8471  
    Last edited by isomage; 12-15-2008 at 05:39 AM.
    My random map generators and GIMP scripts: http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isomage/

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Interesting, though it reminds me more of a series of mines/mine shafts than catacombs.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

hmm isomage,

maybe you should check out my script based on RobA's tutorial.

Just be warned, it is by far the most ugliest script I ever posted cause I did it really fast.

Actually I planned to update it in the next few days cuase I got alot of nice feedback for it and wanted do add a new feature, so you either can wait for my update or check it out now.
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    What is the rule set you are using?
    It's a bit ugly, since I was just playing around adding and tweaking rules to see what happened, and I'm not entirely happy with the results yet, but that one was drawn with:

Code:
    Axiom: F

Production rules:
      F -> (probability 1/2) F R
           (probability 1/8) F [ - F R ] F
           (probability 1/8) F [ + F R ] F
           (probability 1/8) F [ - F R ] [ + F R ]
           (probability 1/8) F [ - F R ] [ + F R ] F

R -> (probability 1/2) F F
           (probability 1/2) F [ room ]
    I didn't know about the GIMP plugin; got a link?

My program processes data defined in configuration files which let you define the axiom and production rules, specify whether the system is deterministic or random, define the step distance and turn angle (as functions, so they can be variable), define new symbols and functions to be called when they're parsed (like "room" above, which draws a room at the current position), specify line width and image size, and so on. It outputs PostScript, but since it's written in Lisp it should be fairly easy to convert to GIMP Scheme if I decide to -- I just need to get it producing better results
    My random map generators and GIMP scripts: http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isomage/

Here's another, which I think is a little better (didn't bother with the parchment this time) -- it uses a simpler rule-set, has slightly bigger rooms, and might be more like what we'd want from a random dungeon map.

One of the things I like about these maps is that I'm randomly perturbing the L-system's angles and distances, so you don't get perfect right angles; it makes the corridors look more like ones in real catacomb maps, I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	8482  
    Last edited by isomage; 12-15-2008 at 08:36 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Much better I think, not quite so spread out.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Isomage, have you ever come across a free application called 'context free'? Check it out on google. I'm convinced that it can be used to make some really nice automated maps, but I'm not enough of a programmer to be able to do it.

Wow- I was wrong

There was an L-system renderer for gimp back in the 1.2 days (source here) but it has never been ported to gimp 2.x.

BTW- Isomage, that last effort is superb!

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Isomage, have you ever come across a free application called 'context free'?
    I hadn't, thanks. It looks interesting.
    Last edited by isomage; 12-16-2008 at 01:06 PM.