Thread: Dwarven Clan Hold

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Dwarven Clan Hold

So here is my first WIP if my dwarven Clan hold.

I started by making the map in Open Office Draw, then exported it as a png, then made some edits, mostly cropping the image with, with Photo Filtre (thankfully it doesn't progressively blur png's), then i opened it in GIMP and ran it through RobA's Dungeon Mapper Script.

I know there are some things i need to fix, apparently some of the walls need moved, to make them align with the grid. I also need to work on the diagonals to make them a bit more symmetrical.

Once I have the base BW image worked out i will run the script on it again and see if i got it right this time.

After that I will be needing some Items png's to dress it up a bit. Any suggestions on where to find them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Castle.png 
Views:	1203 
Size:	4.02 MB 
ID:	8458  
    Last edited by someguy; 12-14-2008 at 02:36 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks good so far.

I highly suggest Dundjinni's user creation forums for items to fill in the details. Lots of great stuff there.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Don’t get to hung up on symmetry

I think that it easy to get caught up in drawing a map and with making everything symmetrical rather than concentrating on the over all design of a fantasy map.

Too Much symmetry tends to make a map look synthetic and can take away from the style of a map. Embrace your maps little imperfections as they can make it more organic and more interesting.

Also consider what each room would be used for and how the dwarves would defend it

Post Don't worry about the Grid either...

The world is not built around 5 foot squares. In fact homes in the US are built around 4 foot frames, not 5 foot. Let's say you're creating a 12' by 18' cabin. Are you saying you can't place a 1 square = 5 feet grid, because the walls on two of the sides land in the middle of a grid square?

I say don't worry about it. The grid is an artificial tool to help your players understand the room they have to work in. Walls shouldn't have to sit on the edge of a grid square. Create your maps at the scale you want. Then place a grid to help size up things for players. Don't build structures based on a 5 foot grid, that's completely silly. (If you want to, that's OK, but not necessary...)

If you look at any of my maps with square grids, walls and stairs and hallways often land in the middle of the squares. As long as your players can figure it out, its no problem.

Consider the fact that you have a 10' wide hallway, and rooms on either side are 10' x 20. What are you going to do about the walls between them - are you forced to make 5' wide walls, or worse 0' wide walls (lines) because the walls will take away space from the rooms or halls?

The grid is a guide for players, it is not a standard to build around.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-19-2008 at 09:50 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Member

I like where this is headed. I'd have to second the motion. Dundjinni's forums have loads of great items. You can also poke around a bit here, but I think there's more textures and buildings here. (I think -- relatively new)

Belgium - Lands of chocolate and the Marsupilami

My opinion is "That looks great".

Of course, it's better to use grid for a playin map... Specially if this map shows a dwarven hold... What is more stubboren than a dwarf ? 'perhaps TWO dwarven)
    So square and symetrical architure is (AMHA) to me the best way to show their culture straightness.

I also like the octogonal rooms wich give a clockwork look to all the stronghold.

Finally, as others mentionned, used the fan creation of dundjinni... Check these on their forum... There a lot to load and full to fill...

Hope to see the next step...