Thread: The Atlas Of ArkEarth

Mount Savage, MD, USA, North America, America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group.

Wip The Atlas Of ArkEarth

So I thought I should post my latest project, ArkEarth.

All work on this Thread Has All Rights Reserved (only because I want to actually make a living off this some day)

All Maps are of: Panthalassa SuperOcean, Third Quadrant, North Hemisphere, ArkEarth, Kuur-Mant System.

Heres a list of Maps to expect to see, in order of creation (*denotes uploaded ones):

Panthalassa Template
    Political Overlay
    Physical Overlay
    Life Zone Overlay
    Ocean Current Overlay
    World Climate Overlay
    Geology & Structure Overlay
    Population Overlay
    Ethnicity Overlay
    Language Overlay
    Religion Overlay
    Economic Overlay
    Conflict Overlay
    Time Zone Overlay

Total Maps: 14
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI0001.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	784.7 KB 
ID:	4006   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0004.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	4007   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI0002.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	792.1 KB 
ID:	4008   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI0003.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	782.2 KB 
ID:	4009  
    Last edited by Arkkeeper; 05-29-2008 at 09:54 AM.
    "The Enemy's Gate Is Down" - Ender Wiggen, Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card

Software Used- ME v16, My Hands 1.0, My Brain

All Maps are either Copyright J.L.Odom and Bardic Fire Studios or under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License (Note it applies to all countries even though it's United States)

Mount Savage, MD, USA, North America, America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group.

Post A Brief History Of ArkEarth

A Brief History of ArkEarth
    By
    Bard Kartia Logan, SoH., PoSc., SoM.

To an Offworlder, ArkEarth can be very strange and difficult to understand but still we must start from the beginning and work our way through history.
    Long Ago only humans existed, they lived peacefully in a technologically advanced society on a planet known as Earth. In this society no magic existed, but instead Psychic ability was common and used in a similar fashion. At some point their scientists discovered something. The sun was dying and it would not be long before it went Nova (See my Article "Cosmological Terminology"). The humans decided to design giant ships called "Arks", and to find a planet they could live on. The "Arks" went seperate ways, unable to contact one another. For many millennium's these giant "Arks" flew through space. One came to our system to discover ArkEarth. They were stunned by ArkEarth. To Explain, ArkEarth is a massive planet, no one knows exactly how big it is, and it's climate seems random to the non-magical. but in fact ArkEarth exists in the only section of the galaxy where magic works, which is the reason such a massive planet can exist in the first place.
    Now for what most historians believe of about 3000 years, These humans populated ArkEarth and terraformed it to their liking, without any knowledge of magic. Then for seemingly no reason Magical energy flooded the planet, wrecking havoc on the Technology, psychic ability, even the very landscape. for 700 years this continued until the magic settled down into it's constant state it is today.

All Maps are either Copyright J.L.Odom and Bardic Fire Studios or under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License (Note it applies to all countries even though it's United States)

Post Istro-Honzu Supercontinent and Kimbassa Continent

This is the Political Overlay for the Istro-Honzu Supercontinent and Kimbassa Continent

Name:	scan.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	3994  
    Last edited by Arkkeeper; 05-28-2008 at 08:27 PM.

Don't know why Arkkeeper, but whenever I click on one of the attachments in your first message, I get the following:

"Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

Hopefully Ravells or one of the other folks can clear this up.

Edit 5/29--Now I see them just fine. Thanks Ravs and Arkkeeper.
    Last edited by thebax2k; 05-29-2008 at 08:30 AM.

If it's a jpg and it's uploaded using the attachment manager it should automatically appear as a thumbnail. The fact that it isn't suggests that Arkkeeper hasn't quite got the hang of it yet although his last post looks like he now has. Just in case, to upload an image:
    1. Click on the 'Go Advanced' Button.
    2. Click on the 'Manage attachments button'.
    3. Click Browse and find the file you want to upload, select it and then click 'upload'.
    4. Wait for the image to upload (confirmation of the upload will appear in the panel with a 'remove' button next to it.
    5. Either click close if you have finished or click browse to upload another image.
    6. You can only upload a maximum of 5 images per post.

Only some images (e.g. jpg and png) will show a thumbnail, others (eg pdf or bmp) will show an icon.

Name:	altmask.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	4003   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upload.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	4004   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image2.bmp 
Views:	70 
Size:	737.2 KB 
ID:	4005  

I don't Understand I fixed this problem before and I can veiw them fine, although they don't have thumbnails.

Correction I see the First One fine, let me try again.

Well as I said in my return thread I would be working on this project again. Here is some of my recent stuff:

I'd thought I'd try to make a digital copy of my Template, so that I could make a version of with nice proper text and such. like a modern map. Unfortunately that failed. miserably. I really need a good scanner and to learn how to use either The GiMP or InkScape. anyways this is a rough edition of the Political Overlay. You've already seen the Political Overlay for the Northern Half of the Map but I restarted on the overlays since I got tracing paper the same size as the Original Map. Using Digital Image Pro, I whited out the Water Areas and painted the Coastlines. afterwords I added the Political Borders and Text of the Nations.

MAP KEY:

*Pink Lines: International Borders
    *Pink Dots: Relative Maritime Borders
    *Pink Lines/Dots with Black Dots: Borders that are subject to either sudden change or are between warring Nations.
    *Blue Lines: Specialty Borders. Many times in a Fantasy World, people like Dwarves have their own nations in Mountain Ranges. On the northern Continent the Blue Lines represent the Dwarven Nations border between them and their "Parent" Nation. On ArkEarth, The Mountains are treated as territory of the "Parent" Nation even though they a completely self-sustaining Dwarven Underground Nation. A big reason behind this is that Dwarves don't have much use for whats on top of the mountains. The Blue Line on the Southern Continent is a border not between nations, but between two distinct racial and Super-Culture Groups.

Also I want to note some nations that you might not understand. On the map there are three sections of ocean that are completely enclosed by Pink Dots. These are Underwater Nations made up of Sapient Aquatic Species.

A Descriptive List of Nations is to come later.

Name:	ArkEarthPoliticalWNames.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	609.6 KB 
ID:	8317  

Good start! But you can see the bits you've tried to scribble out behind the text....any chanceo of repairing that? I do like the shape of your land masses, tho. Keep going, this is good stuff. Are you going to put in featuers like rivers and mountains and things?

A) Yes I know I got's the Lazys And The Tireds. It got boring. reeeeaaaaaal fast. so I didn't finish the fixes.

b) The Mountains and Rivers and stuff will COME on the next Overlay. I'm doing it like and atlas. with multiple Specialty maps.