Thread: Wilbur vs. Terracing

Help Wilbur vs. Terracing

Well, I've begun playing around with wilbur - and I can't get rid of the terraced appearence of the terrain after import. Attached is the png file I am importing and a jpg of what Wilbur is outputting before any operations are applied.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wilbur result.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	8478   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wilbur snippet.png 
Views:	147 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	8479  

Should be a deterrace tool in there somewhere.

But Waldonrate (writer of Wilbur) is a member here and he should be along shortly to answer your question.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

I had a similar problem when importing a regional-scale heightfield from Fractal Terrains. Deterrace worked to a degree, but it took a very long time to do its thing. I also experimented with applying a blur to the heightfield before importing it, and that helped a bit. The problem I had was the small number of levels available in the field. I had to increase the brightness and contrast before blurring in order to get decent results. Even then, I wasn't terribly happy with what I came up with, but I have not had the time to do more experimentation.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Try Filter>>Fill>>Deterrace followed by Filter>>Blur>>Gaussian Blur with a sigma around 1.0. A straight blur with a sigma around 1.0 should work well enough in cases where there aren't large flatish areas.