Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The world of Etrakien

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map The world of Etrakien

This map depicts the world of Etrakien. It’s a dark fantasy world mainly populated by humans, so no Elves, orcs or dwarves.

The map was meant to be a big overview map to give me an idea of what I’m dealing with. Where are the countries? How many countries are there? Before starting up the map the only area that I had a quite clear view of was the area around Ankh-Bathor. The largest and most important city in the Etrakien world.

As you can see I’ve only named the countries and seas in this map. That’s on purpose. First of all I don’t have all the names yet, and if I’m going to wait to finish this map till I do, well the map will never be done. I also think that the map has a cleaner and nicer look without all the names…so well I left them out. It will also look prettier on my wall when I print it out :-)

I also left out the scale…..that’s because I’m not a 100 % sure of the scale yet, and will probably never bee. But approximately the sea called “Etrakiska sjön” is about the same size as the Mediterranean sea. Just so you now.

Well hopefully you have enjoyed the long journey with me creating this map. I’ve had a great time and without all the help and support I’ve got from this forum it never would have turned out the way it did.

cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Etrakiska_världen.jpg 
Views:	764 
Size:	810.8 KB 
ID:	8519  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like it, nice job.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Congrats Clercon! I was just thinking the exact same thing as Ravells the other day that this would make an excellent featured map.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Wow

What a great map Clercon.

Feel my repstick
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Thanks for all the nice words and I'm really proud to now have a featured map. Now I just need to convince my wife that we really need to print it on a large canvas and put it in the living room for all to see :-)

Hi Clercon, your map is amazing! I have a request: I'd like to use this map as a base for my D&D campaign, strictly personal use, but the names are a bit too alien for us (I'm italian). Would it be possible to have an high resolution version without labels? I'd like to translate them or alter a bit the names to make them more readable and print a great laminated version of it to use during my games.
    You'll make me and my group very happy!

OK...the map is finished...but after attending a photoshop course I just couldn't resist to play around a bit with the it. In this version I turned it into a sepia coloured map, with a bit of a texture in it. I kind of like the difference between the versions, so I thought I 'd put it up for display.

:-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	världskarta_8.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	956.1 KB 
ID:	12758  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Very nice map, Clercon. I love the way the woods have turned out; you can see the erm... *what's that word* undulation (?) of the ground underneath, which I think is much better than just forest.
    Just one thing: the river running from the inland see in the northern continent cuts through a mountain range which makes it look like it's flowing up instead of down.

Other that than: kudos and rep

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I really like how clean this looks while retaining it's antiquity. The text comes through very sharp and legible and the colors for the countries are beautiful. Very nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast