Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Award Winner] How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool

Guild Member

I hate to necro a thread but this type of mountain looks interesting. I do have some questions for the author:

1) Is this something you setup prior to mapping (a la CC3) or,

2) something you add to an already existing map?

3) Can you make this a pattern somehow to utilize LIKE CC3 in order to cut down the time involved in placing the mountains (such as using the stamp tool)?

I am not one for taking shortcuts but my map is really big and it would be a big help if I could cut down the time even a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by voidgere View Post
    I hate to necro a thread but this type of mountain looks interesting. I do have some questions for the author:

1) Is this something you setup prior to mapping (a la CC3) or,

2) something you add to an already existing map?

3) Can you make this a pattern somehow to utilize LIKE CC3 in order to cut down the time involved in placing the mountains (such as using the stamp tool)?

I am not one for taking shortcuts but my map is really big and it would be a big help if I could cut down the time even a little bit.
    I did create a few (3) mountains in several shades around the beginning of the year. here.

I also started (and mostly completed but not totally) a map using this technique here. Eventually, when my life calms down, I hope to get back to both.

Note that in my case, I prefer to full hand draw each and every individual mountain and hill( akes quite a long time) but made up a few symbols for others to use in case they prefer things like CC, fractal mapper, etc.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected daeVArt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ah, really Original technique... I like the result, and want to try the technique... ^^
    look's like I'll change my Parchment style map mountain and forest thing, with your Technique here
    (I'm sure It'll re work almost overall map, but, hey The more you enjoy the process, The more rewarded the result right ^^)

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Thanks for the tutorial. I added some steps after getting impatient with the time it was taking to smudge, and I'm pretty happy with the results. Hope to make some brushes out of these!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain1.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	861.1 KB 
ID:	86909 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain2.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	255.0 KB 
ID:	86910

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12