Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trader's map (simplistic)

Map Trader's map (simplistic)

Hello and thanks for reading my post.

I am a new guy here, but love maps and making them.

I am in the process of creating an overview land map for a game I am running and would like for any and all to comment on my little map.

If you would like a brief history and story about the area, I can probably update the post, but that is a different matter.

I originally drew this by hand in my plentiful spare time at work, and have uploaded the original drawing on my album (feel free to check out my other attempts at mapping there).

The map draws inspiration from the Tolkien style maps. I really love those types of maps the best because not only are they simple, but because they leave many things to the imagination which is always a plus for DnD games. Beauty through simplicity.

The map was created using CC3 and some CC2 symbols along with a few Tolkien-style fonts found over the internet (Dwarven Ruins -2, DS Celtic-1 & 2, Aniron).

Please let me know what you think! Thanks again.

-- EDIT --
    I changed the scale after playing around in symbol creation. Now that I know how to make symbols I can make better looking scales. Thanks again guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trader's Map to Percha.JPG 
Views:	745 
Size:	817.8 KB 
ID:	10017  
    Last edited by shpena; 02-05-2009 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Map fixes - stupid colored scale is now gone!!!
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."
    - Louis-Hector Berlioz

All my work is released under the Creative Commons 3 license. Feel free to use and copy, but please give credit where it's due

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

First off...Welcome Aboard!

...and as an added bonus for uploading a map in your very first post I dub thee newly repped *bonk*

Your map is nice - the Tolkien influence is obvious. The only thing that doesn't work for me is the colored scale. Everything else is in "B&W", I'd see if you can find different scale marker in the CC icons (or create your own).

EDIT: Ooops! Said I was going to rep' you and forgot to do it.
    Last edited by Steel General; 02-05-2009 at 09:24 AM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hey thanks!

Yeah, the colored scale is the only thing that detracts from the map. I'll have to figure out how to get rid of it for a better one.
    - Louis-Hector Berlioz

All my work is released under the Creative Commons 3 license. Feel free to use and copy, but please give credit where it's due

SG already said what i was going to say so...
    Nice simple work with a distinctive style. And nice of you to show us a map in your first post.

Very nice map and I am certainly interested in the backstory.
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 02-06-2009 at 06:38 AM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Nice map,very inprecive for an firsth post!
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

For being "simplistic" it shows a good grasp of using the tools to create the look, thus it's a solid map and only more good can come from it and I expect that you will certainly go even further. Nice job my man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

This is very nice. First post too so ill rep ya.

The only odd thing is how its all black and white pen work and then the splash of color on the scale. But even so I like it a lot.

You should pop yourself on the members map - we have had several people from Japan but I cant remember who they were now. (link in sig).

Hey guys, thanks for your input. I changed the scale and edited my original post to reflect that.

As for the history of the region, here is a brief snippet:
    Fordach, now known as the Brook)

The history of the Brook is rather long as it is famous, however only a brief history will be told here. Founded nearly two ages ago, the Brook was one of the first dwellings for what later became the Kingdom of Akalosh. The First in the Line of Akalosh himself was from the Brook. It became a great kingdom that nearly covered the entire Fordach, stretching from the Kanes-en-Drita to the outer rim of the Plains of Cęl, deep into the Realm of Latķum. After countless centuries, the great Kingdom of Akalosh fell into ruin. Legends tell of betrayal, but historians have not been able to discover the real reason of its disarray.

After the fall of Akalosh, the brief Reign of Astar of Astalée, the Vain, came to the Brook, but once Astalée Castle was built, war came and tore the Fordach apart for many years. After nearly a century of lawlessness and wild rages, the High Elf Lord, Eréäs of Anthśl brought order and justice into the Fordach. Many centuries of prosperity came to the Fordach, but nowhere near the peaks of Akalosh. During this time the Brook was made into two cities, Eastbrook and Westbrook. Eastbrook would be in charge of trade and Westbrook would mine and smith. Just as with Akalosh, ruin came to Anthśl, the New Jewel of the Fordach, and war broke out soon after.

During this time, the Fortress of Karaš and the Karaš Watchtower were erected to try to bring peace and stability to the Fordach, but the Brook's denizens began to migrate to other parts bleeding the once proud and prosperous region of its people and talents. History was not kind to the Fortress of Karaš as it is still shrouded in mystery and its mighty ruins still hold many dark secrets. However, the mighty Karaš Watchtower is still in use to this day, protecting caravans and wanderers from preying bandits thanks to the ever watchful paladins of the Temple of Cęl.
    Here is another version of the map without text labels so you guys can use in your own games if you like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trader's Map to Percha - No text.JPG 
Views:	213 
Size:	655.6 KB 
ID:	10018  
    Last edited by shpena; 02-05-2009 at 07:29 PM.
    - Louis-Hector Berlioz

Thanks alot

These make great player hand-outs for my rpg's.
    Simple is good. I tend to make things to complex and confusing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast