Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ziadon (City Designer 3)

Well, I just recently made a handful of charges in Illustrator. There's a bull passant, a hawk, an eagle displayed, a lion rampant, and a tree eradicated at the end of this thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...?t=3627&page=3

They're all in simple black-and-white, so they can be recolored however you like, and they're relatively high resolution transparent PNGs.

Do you subscribe to the ProFantasy Annual? I seem to recall that there was an issue this year on heraldry in CC3.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I think you need to set up all shadows to utilise the Global Light Setting. As it is, your mountains/Hills appear to have the Light coming from the North West, while the ground shadows run opposite that.

Otherwise very imporessive.
    Imporessive is something good?

Anyway, I didn't even notice the light sides on the mountains should have actually been the darker sides (if I keep the other shadows like they are). But you are right!

The mountains/hills are something I slapped together by using some several bevels and blurs. There's no real shadow effects in there, so there isn't a "Use Global Sun Direction" for them, unfortunately. If I want to fix them I have to edit the other shadows. Which is no problem, but rendering the map again will take about 1.5 hours work of cutting and pasting screenshots and *that* I refuse to do for now
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 12-19-2008 at 12:24 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Well, I just recently made a handful of charges in Illustrator. There's a bull passant, a hawk, an eagle displayed, a lion rampant, and a tree eradicated at the end of this thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...?t=3627&page=3

They're all in simple black-and-white, so they can be recolored however you like, and they're relatively high resolution transparent PNGs.

Do you subscribe to the ProFantasy Annual? I seem to recall that there was an issue this year on heraldry in CC3.
    Thanks Midgardsormr. I noticed them not long after you posted them. Most are not usable to be me. My world does not contain lions or eagles for example. Also I am thinking of something more like the heraldry on this map:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...highlight=logo

Unfortunately something like that is far above my skills. I like CC3 because it does most of the work for me. I just throw stuff together and in the end it actually looks quite decent (I do get jealous when I see what people can do entirely by hand).

I do not subscribe to the ProFantasy Annual. Only some editions seemed valuable to me and I dislike the fact you can't order them separately.
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 12-19-2008 at 12:31 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I believe those are Japanese heraldry symbols, I'm sure if you do a google search you can find some that are royalty free.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected strokes's Avatar

I'm really impressed with this map, Nice work. I have CD3 myself, which I haven't had a chance to play with yet, but seeing your nice work has motivated me to try it sooner rather than later.

Re: stiching...

If you make all the screen grabs overlapping areas a program like hugin can be used to autostitch them together.

I have used it to stitch together scanned portions of a large document and it had to compensate for rotation, so this should be a breeze!

Could you post up a set of overlapping grabs from a portion of the map? I'd be willing to test it out since I am familiar with the software...

-Rob A>

Well, this is going to be an interesting experiment. You mean something like this, right?
    The hills are especially nasty, because CC3 sometimes renders them a bit differently if you grab several parts of a hill (has to do with the shadow effects getting cut off).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	part1.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	323.8 KB 
ID:	8595   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	part2.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	365.9 KB 
ID:	8596   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	part3.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	8597   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	part4.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	8598  
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 12-19-2008 at 05:36 PM.

Here is the auto-stitched result:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stitched_er.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	8600

There is some distortion, as the software thinks it is working with photos, but it is certainly easier than manually aligning it

-Rob A>

Wow, that result is pretty impressive. Did you have to fiddle with the software a lot?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12