Thread: Admitally difficult mapping request, in need of help

Post Admitally difficult mapping request, in need of help

I really hate to be using your people's mapping skills to my advantage, but i really can't do this on my own

Basically I'm writting the basis of a story for a contest me and a friend are having. We challenged each other to write books with the goal being "Better than Eragon" and i've written up my general standard back story for the setting. THe problem is no matter how much i try, i can't make the map, my hand writing sucks, i can't manage photo shop, and i can't figure out how to do this. So, and i really not quite sure if this is how your suppose to do this, but i was wondering if anyone was willing to map, or at least help me map this setting.
    I'm not quite sure if i should post the infomation here, or just want for a PM, forgive me for my ignorence but i don't quite understand the system here, but i really do need help on the matters of a map
    Thank you very much
    from
    EE

Post Move this thread.

If you're talking about some direction on creating maps, what kind of software do you have, what are you willing to learn.

We've got many tutorials with Photoshop or GIMP (free) on creating cartographic work. Other software too! What kind of graphics do you like? Is their a style of map you prefer? How much work are you willing to put to the task? We can certainly guide you, but we need more information.

Perhaps check out our list of mapping software:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1407

Once you got the application you want, we can give you direction, but you're going to have to show us what you can do...

Explore the site, check out the tutorials section - you can do this!

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-20-2008 at 01:07 AM. Reason: removed the CL move request - since it got moved.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Better than Eragon...hmmm. How's this...dude gets killed. I win Yay me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    If you're talking about some direction on creating maps, what kind of software do you have, what are you willing to learn.

We've got many tutorials with Photoshop or GIMP (free) on creating cartographic work. Other software too! What kind of graphics do you like? Is their a style of map you prefer? How much work are you willing to put to the task? We can certainly guide you, but we need more information.

Perhaps check out our list of mapping software:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1407

Once you got the application you want, we can give you direction, but you're going to have to show us what you can do...

Explore the site, check out the tutorials section - you can do this!

GP
    Um, in terms of the map, i imagine an Island maybe the size of Spain or Texas, thats devided politically. Terrain makes a difference, but due to the size it isn't really that much of a variety. I'm mostly concerned with making a land mass that looks natural rather than some kind of mish mash

I really don't know how to draw maps, and with bad software, so i'm rather limited. I'm not saying i can't get anything done, i'm just saying that I'm going to take some time in acomplishing anything, and it would be nice to have some advice on the matter. I don't know if i should post the outline on this thread for who ever is interested, or if i should just PM it to people who want to help. Thanks for the links through, i'll try to figure out how to do this, just general advice would be great

Thanks a lot
    from
    EE

Oh, i kinda realize what I should be doing, this is more like a F-Alliance Cross over thing, sorry about that
    from
    EE

I'm curious as to what's going on with this.

Is this a request for somebody to do it for you? And if so are you still looking? Would you mind a hand drawn map? What style are you looking for (example of ones that you like could be linked)?

Second Rovingjacks post.
    Give us something to work with here!