We want a map! Does anyone else here get sick of that request?

I'm feeling the urge to reflect and gripe a little here.

I'm guessing the majority of people here are story tellers of one type or another. Okay, I'm just a GM. That's sort of like being an author with only a handful of readers.

So I'm telling a story and describing a location. The players respond with, "We want a map!" Okay, fine. I've given them 7 maps so far for this adventure. I'll probably have to come up with a rough map of a rural setting, but that's not a problem.

I've got a final (I hope) location that is in an underground, urban and industrial setting. I was hoping I could catch a break and just find something on the Internet to borrow. So far the pickings look pretty slim.

I'm sure a bunch of us here have played computer games like Halo or Oblivion and thought how great looking some of the settings are. I've been trying to look for maps of these locations online. Of the ones that I've found so far, my reaction has been, "These stink."

Really, when you can look down and see the big picture on how things are put together, you realize that a lot of it just doesn't make sense. The computer environments are put together with the "gaming experience" in mind, and without much concern as to how practical the layout would be for mundane world use. If I can see these flaws, the players (who tend to be smarter than me) will likely take issue with them as well.

Well, if any of you have a suggestion for a source of material, I'd like to hear it. Otherwise, thanks for giving me a place to gripe.