Thread: The World of Hyboria - hand-drawn

Wip The World of Hyboria - hand-drawn

Well no WIP, yet - not even a placeholder, however... my next "personal project" will be the accurate, artistically rendered recreation of Conan's World of Hyboria, based on this map.

Its not a commission job, its just my initiative on something that currently does not exist. There's a long discussion and facts on essays by Conan scholars on what is accurate of Hyboria, on the Mongoose Publishing Forums... http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/forum.php (There doesn't seem to be a way for me save a short-cut link to the exact page) Go to the Conan Forum, and the I Like This Map thread.

I plan to use much of the style, though different mountains and hills, as my September Challenge Map - Archean Trade League. The mountains and hills will be more traditional upsidedown "V"s and flattened "U"s, with hand-shading and my own style.

If Mongoose Publishing wants it, great, but I'm going to start after the first of the year. As I mentioned towards the end of that thread, it might also be cool to continue the hand-drawn style and create Kingdom by Kingdom regional maps of at least Western Hyboria.

Might get me some Conan noteriety, if nothing else, maybe!

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-20-2008 at 03:05 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking forward to seeing this GP...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Conan! What is best in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women

"What is it that a man may call the greatest things in life?"
    "Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper."
    -- Cohen the Barbarian

What's wrong with the current official one for the RPG?
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Post Apparently

Apparently, most of Mongooses maps over the past 15 years have been created by artists, not cartographers. The fanbase have always felt they were not cartographically correct and lacked detail. Conan fans have felt they were not true to Robert E. Howard's vision (Conan's author)

The maps created by Vincent Spange the most accurate based on essays by Howard and Grippke, a Conan scholar, however, the Conan fans aren't too excited to see a Google style map of Hyboria - it lacks that ancient world feel, so a desire for accurate hand-drawn has always been desired.

So I'm volunteering.

GP

EDIT: I agree that the map Valarian pointed is indeed, beautiful, but unless I am mistaken Cimmeria, Aquillonia and Nemedia are somewhat squished, those nations need to be longer north to sea than they currently are. Cimmeria should almost be square or trapezoidal, not so long east and west as it currently sits on that map. Otherwise, beautiful map.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-21-2008 at 03:24 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Go brother Gameprinter! Bring a true and proper Hyboria to the masses!

I'll run it by my Conan aficionado friends if\when you post it.

Good luck.

Here's some rep for sheer ambition!

Can't wait GP!! MG's maps are crap I guess Vincent are willing to help you if you have questions. He knows verything there is to know about Hyboria, well almost everything...

Don't think this is the latest and correct version. You should switch "Punt" and "Keshan". Check with Vincent.

//Galastro

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    As I mentioned towards the end of that thread, it might also be cool to continue the hand-drawn style and create Kingdom by Kingdom regional maps of at least Western Hyboria.
    You might or might not be interested, but there is a collection of kingdom maps for various kingdoms in the Hyborian Age (which are used in the play-by-mail game Hyborian War) on my site located at: http://grimfinger.net/HWMaps.html

You may or may not find these maps useful for inspiration, to varying degrees. I think that the artist for them was Liz Danforth.