Thread: December Entry: transreality war

Post December Entry: transreality war

well this is very rough, and it seems my original idea may not work as planned but here is the start, I'll try and tinker with it a bit more before deadline. But ultimately I still like the idea enough to give it a proper go with inks and papers at some point. And far more intricate. I'm forced to use very basic software (mspaint) because I don't actually have a computer running right now.

The idea of this one is that if you use three d glasses or defraction film it will seperate and isolate the two maps that are overlaying each other. Not sure if it actually works.

The scenario is of two worlds, one to the blue and one to the red (fourth dimensional directions) of each other. but something has forced the two worlds to connect at certain points and the encounter was not a pleasant one.

No body knows who started it but each side has become so entrenched in destroying the other that it no longer matters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.bmp 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	8610  

I like the theory behind it, and am looking forward to seeing it come together, although with just ms paint (and I assume a mouse rather than a tablet), you've got your work cut out for you!

Took a look through some glasses I have here. The red is good but the blue works best if it is a cyan.

Also, as a favour, could up upload either jpg or png files so the browser can display them inline?

Thanks,

-Rob A>

okay well I've got it pretty much done. It's a very simple map because my focus was on trying to get the technique right, and the simpler the landscape was, the better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transdimensional.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	8737  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wish I had some 3d glasses to see this but the idea is really cool.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

wow... Good job!
    I've toyed with the idea of intersecting worlds. Mostly like two sheets intersecting. Well, everyone has had that idea.
    I never realized a 3D map is a solution to the mapping problem! Great
    Gotta go find me some 3d glasses now

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I wish I had some 3D glasses so I could see how this truly looks. Great idea though!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member

I used my 3D glasses and it looked... okay. The blue line is a little too thick and the minor imperfections are throwing off the illusion. But given the medium (MS PAINT! wow) I would still consider it well done, and even though the effect wasn't perfect it was still there and added a nice touch.

TECHNIQUE: ****
    ORIGINALITY: *****
    STYLE: **

OVERALL: ***½

Recommendations:
    1) Improve the 3D illusion. I don't really know how because I've never tried it before, but minor imperfections are causing the "stick out" portions to appear blurry. This may not be possible considering your circumstance and limitations right now.
    2) There's a thin line between "simple" and "sparse" that I think you crossed. You need to strike a balance between content and clarity; in this case, flesh out the map a little. It's ultimately why I ranked you low on STYLE.

Overall an above average map! I can't wait to see what you create with proper software!