Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP-Vangaul

Post WIP-Vangaul

Hey everybody

Im starting on a new setting for dnd, and would appreciate any constructive criticism you can give me to improve on what i have so far.

The world is called Gaveroth. The world is named after the acient god of dragons. Originally, Gaveroth was content ruling over his race (red dragons) on the elemental plane of fire. However, he eventually became bored with the worshipers he controlled. Gaveroth sought his gaze on the new claim created by the god of nature, obad-hai. Obad had originally planned to construct a monument to the power of nature. However, Gaveroth was vicious, and was willing to do combat against the mighty god for the rights over the New Earth.
    However, Obad felled Gaveroth, drowning him in a sphere of water that would later be the foundation of the New Earth. Gaveroth's skeleton provided the foundation for the world: Dragora was his mouth, Ossus and Vangaul the wings, and Lyon and the Shattered Coast his tail.

I will be posting wips of each step in my creative process. If you see any problems with the geography of the world, or can recomend some tips to make my maps better, feel free to shout up!

also, sorry if the images are bad, i had to screenshot them because my cc3 is being pantsy and wont save properly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gaveroth.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	8770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vangaul 1.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	8771  

Post River Police - pull over buddy!

Fix your Rivers.

And you did such a good job on your rivers on your other "first" map. I hate to write you up a citation, but the law is the law...

Eoinmorgan, you've got a couple of rivers on the south side of Vangaul that split downstream into two rivers going to the sea. This is geologically impossible. Forks occur when two rivers join into one - they do not fork downstream. A river will follow gravity to shortest way possible to reaching the sea.

A large slow moving muddy river often leave deposits of silt when it enters the ocean since the ocean doesn't continue the rivers flow. These deposites can cause the river to move its channel to better reaching the seas. This causes a delta to form. It technically is not forking downstream however - rivers never do that.

Also there is a river in Ossus the comes from the mountain and ends at a lake. Not that this is impossible, but you should have a river leaving the lake and going to the sea.

Other than that, things look fine...

GP, (Deputy River Police)
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-29-2008 at 09:12 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by eoinmorgan View Post
    also, sorry if the images are bad, i had to screenshot them because my cc3 is being pantsy and wont save properly.
    So far so good.
    Anyway, I was screenshotting all my CC3/CD3 work as well. But you can actually render these babies in enormous dimensions and great qualities. Check it out:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...2240#post42240

Let me know if you need some pointers how to save your map.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Here iv fleshed out the climate and vegitation.

Name:	Vangaul 2.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	8773  

gp thanks i actualy never knew that rivers couldnt fork downstream! now looking at it it make sense... so i can go back to making rivers that don't suk! yay! Im just gonna scrap the rivers and start over with em... i cant figure out how to rease individual ones...

Ok. Here are my updated versions of both wips that show my new river schematics. I kinda had to deviate from the world map (i did not want to remake the vangaul terrain), but watever i will make it work.

gp if u see any other things about my geography i would love to know because they make my world more believable. Thanks.

Name:	Gaveroth.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	8775   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vangaul 2.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	8776  

Im on a roll (hehe get the pun? i play dnd...) today! Heres an updated with vangaul populated with settlements. again, sorry about the small size... Mebbe when i start labeling i will post a link for the origional file so that you guys who have cc3 can view it up close.

Name:	Vangaul 3.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	8778  

Quote Originally Posted by eoinmorgan View Post
    Im on a roll (hehe get the pun? i play dnd...) today! Heres an updated with vangaul populated with settlements. again, sorry about the small size... Mebbe when i start labeling i will post a link for the origional file so that you guys who have cc3 can view it up close.

Why don't you just export it in jpg format? I don't have CC3, so can't tell you the exact steps, but others here can (Gandwarf just found out how)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

An update with roads, country boarders, and nationality icons.

Name:	Vangaul 4.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	8782  

even exported in jpg, the image is a certain size, so you cant zoom in anyways, or at least thats what iv found. But yes that would be good so that you guys could se the labels once i put them on.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast