Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Craefort - barbarian hill-fort/village

Beautiful maps, Gamerprinter. The Ogre Den is especially cool.
    Repped.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

GP, even after being here several months, the speed and quality at which you work never ceases to amaze me.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Rather cool encounter map, I like it. I especially like the rock.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    GP, even after being here several months, the speed and quality at which you work never ceases to amaze me.
    Thanks for the comments everyone, and Merry Christmas!

SG, though I enjoy the act of creating a map, I really don't want to spend to much time creating, I'm more into the final result. The way I work, is the same as the way I work in my day job. Knowing the technique and having a clear idea in my head as to what I want is set in stone ahead of time. Then I dive right into Xara and start creating. Clearly I don't want to spend more than an hour or two creating these maps.

If you've got the technique down pat, and the final map in your head, its just a matter of doing it and getting it done. That's my philosophy and that's how I work so fast. Being inspired is necessary, though.

I'm not trying to impress anyone more than myself in getting the work done.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-25-2008 at 06:37 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Wip My first tale!

Although I've come up with some cool backstories to some of my map posts, I have not been a true teller of tales here. I decided to make an exception, here is a very short story (3 pages) about the lives of Clan Crae in my Pict barbarians of the World's End campaign setting. There's a little gore, but not gratuitous and some descriptions of Pictish Clan law, as they fit my world.

I call it "A Druid's Wife" - enjoy!

GP
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Post A new thought...

Someone on another forum where I posted these maps have requested through Email, whether I can offer my map designs as downloadable PDF files sliced so they can print them on their own printers.

Now, normally, that's not my business model, since I print maps at full scale, large format dimensions, laminate and ship.

However, I've been giving it some more thought, and maybe I will experiment with the idea - using these latest barbarian maps. Perhaps offer each map for $2.75 each (most are 24 or more pages to print entire map.) Then offer a set of 5 or 10 maps for a discounted price (get one or two free for example.)

Just a new idea to explore, looking for more ways to sell my maps - just a thought.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Wip Screaming Chasm swing bridge

First of my wilderness encounter areas, Screaming Chasm bridge. This bridge allows access between Crae and Epper lands. Its about 80' from the bridge to the water.

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chasm-bridge.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	997.9 KB 
ID:	8732  
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Another great job GP!

...and now for my minor nit-pick the orange of the rope on the bridge is a little bright" to me, I think it needs to be a more tan-yellow color. Now if there is a reason for it to be that color than by all means just ignore my prattling.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Yeah, I know...

There's a novelty line effects menu in Xara, and the orange rope is in there, I used it, I tried to change the color to more of a yellow grey, but it didn't let me, so I may replace that with something of my own in the correct color. But for expediency, I left if for now. I completely agree with you, too orange!

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

damn...these are nice, and whether or not you wanted to impress with your description of your work method, I need to tell you that it impresses the hell out of me that you only spend an hour or two on them. I understand what you are saying about having the vision first then just getting it done. I just can't work that quickly on the vision, and it is impressive that you can.

having said that, and admitting that my little pet peeve on images is shadows (not that I know how to do them properly, just that it is one of the things that always catches my eyes) I do have a nit pik for you. The shadow of the bridge and the treas do not match the shadows of the posts. Also the bridge shadow is too straight at the lower parts of the chasm.

sorry for the crit. great work none the less

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast