Thread: World Map II

Wip World Map II

Hey guys, this is my second thread and the third map I'm posting here
    I didn't have much time to check the tutorials since my last thread (college and whatnot =/ ), and the ones I did check (despite being awesome) I wasn't able to use on this map because the style didn't really fit.

Anyways, these maps I made for a nice dude I gamed with for a while that is making a homebrew setting. It's still not entirely done because I still need to find a nice font to use in the map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thinkmap-22 cópia.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	594.5 KB 
ID:	8645   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thinkmap.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	316.3 KB 
ID:	8646  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Check DaFont.com for fonts, they have lots of nice ones that are free to download.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

It looks pretty good. The main thing I noticed that could stand a little improvement was that the ocean was a solid blue color, which looks fine, but that the lakes and rivers appear to be a patterned blue color. It makes it look a tiny bit disjointed.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Nice mountains and hills! trees could use a bit different coloration though instead of the default background color.

Big problem is with the rivers. While rivers can fork going from highlands to the sea, such a configuration is never stable and will eventually have one fork dry up. It's even rarer for a river to fork and rejoin itself again downstream. Also, given the apparent scale of the map ( appears to be several hundred miles across ??) you should perhaps think about making the rivers meander a bit more and make them smaller the closer they are the the source (mountains.)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll work on the sea pattern (or remove the one on rivers/lakes). As for the rivers forking (lol) the guy that asked me to make the map wanted them to be unrealistic, so they can be "attributable to River Gods and such".

Quote Originally Posted by XiaoTie View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys, I'll work on the sea pattern (or remove the one on rivers/lakes). As for the rivers forking (lol) the guy that asked me to make the map wanted them to be unrealistic, so they can be "attributable to River Gods and such".

Heh... well.. Magic trumps science! What did you do this in? How did you do the mountains and hills? Were they inked by hand and scanned into the computer in B/W and colored(this is what I suspect) or were they scanned in already colored? or done totally by hand in a program?
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

It was entirely made (and colored) on Photoshop. The mountains/mounts/forests were all "hand draw" (as much as possible given they were made with a mouse and Photoshop normal brush ) to an extent, then I copied and rearranged since it is a PAIN to draw that many trees, believe me.

To make the B/W version I just used some layers to change the color around.

Quote Originally Posted by XiaoTie View Post
    It was entirely made (and colored) on Photoshop. The mountains/mounts/forests were all "hand draw" (as much as possible given they were made with a mouse and Photoshop normal brush ) to an extent, then I copied and rearranged since it is a PAIN to draw that many trees, believe me.

To make the B/W version I just used some layers to change the color around.
    Not that you need much help, but if you ever want a different look for mountains, check out my short tutorial on how I like to make ISO/side view mountains via the link in my signature. If you want to see a better example, you can check out a WIP I have going (don't mind the disarray.... I need to get back to it, probably in another week or two).
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials: