Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Future Earth, my campaign/novel map

Guild Apprentice

Post WIP: Future Earth, my campaign/novel map

Hello all. I'm the founder of the Campaign Builder's Guild (though it's run by Ishmayl and others). I've been working on my setting for many years now, a world I use as a setting my D&D games and my novels in progress. While I am writing a fantasy world, I am approaching its creation from as natural a process as possible.

The world my stories and games take place in is earth in the future; 50 million years in the future to give a rough estimate. I spent a good deal of time researching scientists' future projections of plate tectonics. Since there's no singular accepted path for continental movement (and apparently there are some who discount tectonics entirely; read the expanding earth theories), I was pretty free to move the continents as I felt looked well.

I've already read a good deal of map making tutorials on this site, and they helped me out greatly. RobA's tutorial on using GIMP helped me out especially, giving me a method for randomizing the coastlines to look organic (and even created some nice looking costal islands).

Now that I have an outline map, I'd like to see if I can find some help placing terrains and biomes in an organic fashion. I don't need things to be 100% perfect, but I'd like some guidance if anyone can give it. In addition to my outline map, I have a map with colored bands placed to show general rainfall (dry, semidry, semiwet, and wet). I'm under the impression that the wet areas (dark blue) will tend to be forests (tropical or temperate) generally, with semiwet (light blue) being more sparse. Semidry (green) will be grasslands, and dry (yellow) will be deserts.

Please, offer any help you can, be it advice, guidelines, or (I wish) an edited map with where you think the biomes should be. Thanks for any contributions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Krellshah_S_Outline.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	8647   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Krellshah_S.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	8648  

Are you shooting for a particular kind of style, Xeviat? I like your thought processes in going about the world creation (I just make stuff up and slap it down!).

Guild Apprentice

Ravells, right now I'm not looking for a particular art style, though when I get to it I do want to make two maps: an "in world" map with political boundaries and a hand-drawn look, and a "functional" map for me with layers for altitude, terrain (grasslands, mountain, wetland, desert, forest ...), and political boundaries.

At the moment, I'm more concerned with placing altitude and terrain, because that will help determine rivers which will also help determine political boundaries.

I totally could have made things easier on myself and just created my own world, but where would the fun in that be?

Guild Apprentice

Alright, I finished my altitude map, and included air and ocean currents. I'm trying to set climate zones (wet/dry, warm/cool). Things shouldn't largely be changed from how they currently are; a few continents have turned, but they're largely at the same longitude. If anyone has any observations they can share, please do.

Here's the picture

I'm sure it's not intentional, but when you turn it upside down, it reminds me of Africa, India, and Australia. I even see Madagascar.

It's a cool world building concept you have going. It's way over my head, so I'll have nothing useful to add. Sorry.
    Last edited by Asharad; 01-01-2009 at 03:17 AM.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Asharad View Post
    I'm sure it's not intentional, but when you turn it upside down, it reminds me of Africa, India, and Australia. I even see Madagascar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeviat
    The world my stories and games take place in is earth in the future; 50 million years in the future to give a rough estimate.
    Yup, that's Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia, repositioned. My tectonic movements aren't perfect, but they're fairly close to the various projections I've read. The altitudes are based off of Earth altitudes as well.

Looks like a helluva project. I'm not read up on the subject enough to give any input, but I'll follow the thread and give any help I can.

Guild Apprentice

Again, just to reiterate, I'm looking for any advice on placing climate zones (as simple as the combinations of hot/cold and dry/wet) and terrain types (forest, grassland, hills, mountains, wetlands ...). Again, I'm on my way to slowly finishing it, but any advice would be super.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeviat View Post
    Yup, that's Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia, repositioned. My tectonic movements aren't perfect, but they're fairly close to the various projections I've read. The altitudes are based off of Earth altitudes as well.
    Oh! Ok then. Two thumbs up!

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Asharad View Post
    Oh! Ok then. Two thumbs up!
    Heh. I worked on the tectonics sporadically for years, and I realized that I needed to flip the map upside down to hide it. Apparently there's pole shifts, so I can switch which way compasses point and it will switch the map. The only issue is that East and West apparently refer to the sun, and my world the sun will rise in the west and set in the east if I keep the cardinal directions in the same order. Africa is too difficult to mask, though; nothing I could do would do it.

Maybe someone has an idea?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast