Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [CC3/DD3] Vampire's Castle

Wip [CC3/DD3] Vampire's Castle

Here's a project I've been working on in Dungeon Designer 3.

This is a map of a vampire's castle loosely based on the castle map found in WotC's Heroes of Horror. I created the floor from an image I found at Will's Hand Made Dungeon Floorplans. I really like the way the muddy, trampled grass turned out around the castle - I did a lot of experimenting (which I'm chalking up as time well spent) with the various sheet effects in combination to get it to look right. I'm not sure I'm done with this map yet - it still needs something - thus I'm posting it in the WIP forum. I'd also like to swap out the tree symbols with some more realistic pine trees. I plan on eventually using this for a True20 Hammer Horror style campaign.

Here's what the image looks like with CC3's powerful sheet effects turned off:

As always, thoughts and criticisms are most appreciated.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Looks good. What are the Effects applied to the Muddied grass for us Inquiring types
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Looks good. What are the Effects applied to the Muddied grass for us Inquiring types
    Thanks! Let's see, if memory serves (and I'll verify this when I get home), there is an Edge Fade, an Edge Fade (Inner), and finally a Transparency.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Post Here's a bare tree for you!

Hey Jaerdaph, nice map, always like ones with vampires on it!

Here's a bare tree created in 3D that I use for lots of my maps. Its a 100 ppi transparent PNG at about 400 x 400 pixels. I can resize if you need it larger!

I actually use it as a base to paint leaves on for various other tree needs I have. I hope it works for your needs...

GP

Edit: I uploaded a non-transparent version, so I replaced it with the correct one!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tree-bare.png 
Views:	1829 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	8654  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-23-2008 at 12:28 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Very cool - thanks Gamerprinter!
    jaerdaph

Guild Member Facebook Connected Ilwan's Avatar

Great map. I really like the floor tiles and applied effects.

Thanks, Ilwan!

Quote Originally Posted by jaerdaph View Post
    Let's see, if memory serves (and I'll verify this when I get home), there is an Edge Fade, an Edge Fade (Inner), and finally a Transparency.
    There's also a Blur. I learned something interesting in the CC3 user's manual about Edge Fade - unlike Edge Fade (Inner), it only works on solid color objects, not bitmaps, so technically it isn't doing anything in my map. If I turn it off, however, it makes the muddy area look different (and not as nice). Weird, but I assume it has something to do with the opacity setting.
    jaerdaph

That looks really nice. I particularly like the indoor floor tiles, they really add to the atmosphere.

I'm also quite fond of this map from Heroes of Horror and I recently discovered it originally appeared in an old issue of Dungeon magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    That looks really nice. I particularly like the indoor floor tiles, they really add to the atmosphere.

I'm also quite fond of this map from Heroes of Horror and I recently discovered it originally appeared in an old issue of Dungeon magazine.
    Thanks Larb!

Do you know which issue of Dungeon - I'd love to go through my collection and compare the earlier version.
    jaerdaph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast