Thread: Fractal Planet Generator:does anybody use it?

Question Fractal Planet Generator:does anybody use it?

Ok, I'm still new here, so maybe my google-fu is a bit rusty. I haven't found anything related to the application in question so I'm posting my question here.

Fractal Planet Generator is a command line app that creates planetary maps. You can use different color schemes and adjust variables such as water percentage, etc. The author's site seems to be down (this software is a bit old), but I found it through this link: http://www.eldacur.com/~brons/NerdCorner/Planet.html

So, enough plugging. Does anybody else use it, or am I the only one? Here's some examples
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cytherea.bmp 
Views:	1104 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	8659   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cytherea1.bmp 
Views:	997 
ID:	8660   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cytherea2.bmp 
Views:	1653 
ID:	8661  

I remember the Mogensen generator from way back when (late 90s?). The algorithm was unusual but I mostly remember it for its ability to directly generate maps in different projections. As far as the program that you mention, though, I haven't used it. Doing so would require a Mac, which I just don't have access to.
    These days I tend toward using Wilbur or Fractal Terrains (I have always cringed at that name) from ProFantasy. They are windows only, but the output is at least as good as the Mogensen generator.

Morgensen generator; that sounds better than the name I was using (I didn't know what else to call it), but it's what I'm using. You don't need a Mac to use it; I'm using a plain-Jane AMD64 (OMG! only one core?!? ) and it works beautifully. However, I'm not sure it would run on a Windows platform- I use Debian to get things done. If you want a copy of the source code, I'll be more than happy to PM/attach a copy (as far as I can tell, the source code is GPL liscenced so it should be ok).

I snagged a copy of Fractal Terrain Pro and am giving the interface a shakedown. It's interesting (and certainly worth the investment), but it so far feels less flexible.