Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The East Asian Co-Prosperity Organisation in 1989

Guild Novice

Post The East Asian Co-Prosperity Organisation in 1989

On AlternateHistory.com I said I'd do a 'cool' map of Japan where it won World War 2, and I have, sort of.

It's actually a Japan that stayed out of WW2, it never allied with Germany and became increasingly involved with the US instead. Under the USA's influence the initially Japan-centric East Asian Co-Prosperity Organisation gradually gradually became more and more capitalist and less centred around Japan.

Japan also became the nation to turn to for former Asian colonies when they needed money to stimulate their economy and to industrialise. As a result, a few former European colonies have become heavily economically involved with Japan, and have joined the EACO as a result.

Though it seems like you guys don't get a lot of political maps on here, I hope you all like this map!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	East Asia dotnetpng.png 
Views:	1445 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	8663  

Very nice! I like the paper aging you've applied, and the sunburst emphasizing Japan is a good touch.

I could wish that the landmass continued beyond the countries depicted, to show that they're not the whole of the continent.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Cool beans!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'll second what Midgard said. The paper aging looks flawless and the sunburst is almost cheeky, but in an appropriate/cool kind of way.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Cool beans!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I'll second what Midgard said. The paper aging looks flawless and the sunburst is almost cheeky, but in an appropriate/cool kind of way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Very nice! I like the paper aging you've applied, and the sunburst emphasizing Japan is a good touch.
    Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    I could wish that the landmass continued beyond the countries depicted, to show that they're not the whole of the continent.
    That's what I was originally planning to do, but I was drawing this all in InkScape, which doesn't let you copy images/objects from one file and then paste them in another, so I had deleted the map I was tracing from before I had realised that I would have to draw the Northernmost part of Borneo. Unfortunately I had also gone on to draw a great deal before I realised this, so undoing until the map reappeared would mean undoing a great deal of work, so I decided to just leave the rest of Asia out and just have the EACO instead.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool stuff!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Let me just chime in and say: yes, cool map
    Political maps are not my cup of tea, but I definitely like this one. I like the way how you made Japan the focal point.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Really nice map. Paper effect makes it look very authentic.

On the accuracy side, if you do not mind my pinpointing of details, there is a slight mistake on the representation of Korea.

In the hypothesis that Japan did not participate in WW2 and was allowed to proceed with their plans, Korea should be depicted with the same color and same name as Japan.

Indeed, Japan made Korea a protectorate in 1905 (Eulsa treaty) and annexed it fully in 1910. Thereafter the colonial power started a campaign of "assimilation" of the Korean people, including, at some point of time, the ban of use of Korean names and of the Korean language, replacing them with Japanese equivalents. Therefore the peninsula would have been probably considered fully Japanese by the late 80's if the Japanese defeat in WW2 had not reversed this course of events.

Moreover, the name "Republic of Korea" would not have existed (it was founded after the war in 1948 ). When Korea was annexed it was known as the Korean Empire (since 1897) and as Joseon (or Chosun) before that. The Taegukgi (Korean national flag) was created briefly before the collapse of the Korean Empire, and was not yet recognised as a representative symbol of Korea by the world at large.

As for the other countries on your map I do not know...

Sorry for the long post!

PS: to any Japanese reader, the historical facts discussed above do not constitute a criticism or condemnation of the Japanese culture as a whole or of contemporary Japan, which I appreciate and respect.
    Last edited by Fabrice; 02-07-2009 at 08:31 PM.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The map looks really well. I'm very doubtful about the historic likelihood though. Japan only attacked the US because the US stopped oil supplies (Pearl Harbor, from the Japanese POV was a preemptive strike in a defensive war), and the US only got involved in Asia because of Pearl harbor. The American influence on the Japanese was only possible because of Japan's defeat in WW2, I am almost certain that an Imperial Japan would not take orders from anybody, ever. (Indeed the whole idea of the co-prospertiy sphere was to remove Western influence in Asia and replace it with Japanese dominance.)

Anyway, never mind history, as a map-making exercise it's fine and the style is very convincing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast