Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello and my first attempts.

Post Hello and my first attempts.

HI, im Edd im from the UK and I mainly do web coding with php & sql.As for gaming I like RPGs of all kinds from console to tabletop and have dabbled in many different games.

Im writing my own web site, just as a learning tool really, but the site is going to be based on rpgs. Like a forum/chat rpg system with built in material. The main problem I have is graphics and so whilst hunting around for tutorials and help for me to start learning web design & rpg art I came across this site. So after reading my first tutorial for regional maps heres my first attempts.

I used gimp for these, I have inkscape too but ill probly use that for icons and closer pictures like building plans.

Any comments welcome, im a gimp noob but have learn't a few nice techniques from the tutorial so thanks go to the dude that did that.

EDIT:

I would also like to find out if there is a way of editing the patterns in inkscape. Ive been playing with a bench and would like a greyscale pattern in the style of wood to make texture layers from.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FirstAttempt_Preview.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	8670   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SecondAttempt_Preview.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	8671  
    Last edited by SteadyEdd; 12-24-2008 at 08:04 AM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Nice start and welcome to the guild!! *bonk*

I believe that the dude you wish to thank is RobA and yes, many many thanks should go out to him. I too am a noob and like you am in the process of following his tut. As a fellow noob, I would suggest that you browse through some of the older stuff as this place is a gold mine of graphic info in general but the real vein is in map techniques. And you need to dig for some of it.

As for Inkscape (which I am also a noob at) I have found that is is quite good as a sketch prog, or as a tool to trace out an outline that might be catching your fancy. Much better at that than Gimp, as far as line work goes at least. I haven't tried using it for anything else yet.

From one noob to another, welcome to the guild.

Korash pretty much summed it up; you've got a goldmine on your hands with this site, just start digging

Hia SteadyEdd-

Thanks for the thanks I'm glad people have found that tutorial useful.

I also use Inkscape a fair bit... but don't understand your question. Do you have a bitmap texture you want to use in Inkscape, or are you trying to create a wood pattern from scratch in Inkscape?

-Rob (the dude) A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Cheers guys.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post

Do you have a bitmap texture you want to use in Inkscape, or are you trying to create a wood pattern from scratch in Inkscape?
    I was trying to make a wood grain look using a tutorial. It was done by waving the inkscape calligraphy tool about. It didnt really work out for me. Then I noticed the pattern fill and tried using a brown square as a base color then using a 50% alpha layer over the top filled with a pattern to make the brown square look textured. The problem was there wasnt a good selection of patterns to use. I have now figured it out though, I thought the patterns were set but I can add new ones, the message was staring me in the face.

I think im gonna try making some grayscale wood texture in gimp then moving it to inkscape to layer over wood.

Welcome to our Happy Family
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Blog Entries

Hi SteadyEdd, Im from the UK too and theres a link in my sig to a world map where members are so maybe you can add yourself to it.

For wood textures then I recommend looking at cgtextures.com specifically...

http://www.cgtextures.com/textures.php?t=browse&q=427

Cheers for the textures there perfect. Ive added myself to the map too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast