Thread: Hello Everyone

Question Hello Everyone

First, greetings to everyone here. I've spent the last few days browsing the many different types of mapping software available. Admire some of the work you guys have put in. Some great stuff out there.

I've been an avid gamer in one fashion or another for most of my years on this earth and will always search for time to continue that enjoyment.

I had a question to ask of you, because I currently do not own any of the software. I was thinking of purchasing CC3 or one of the others as a gift my Dad, who is coming closer and closer to retirement. He is currently working on getting a rule system setup that can be used interchangeably (for the most part) between tabletop war games and a role playing environment. I've seen many maps designed for D&D type games, but is the software also compatible for more war game type maps? Also, is it possible to just say, import an image and add hex's and use it as a map?

Hope that is somewhat clear. I actually find this all very interesting and look forward to when I have some spare cash around for myself to get a copy of one of these.

Thanks for any input, and hello again to all.

Post You've got choices!

Welcome to the Guild!

We specialize in maps of fiction, which certainly includes RPGs like D&D, Traveler, HARP, RuneQuest, D20, etc. But others are creating maps for board games like alternate versions of RISK. Some create maps strictly for miniature war gaming. And some are illustrations for fantasy novels.

CC3 can be certainly used for RPG maps, but works equally well for any other kind of game map - board games, war games, what have you. CC3 isn't exclusively for any one kind of game.

Only thing is CC3 is ideal for overland maps, you might require DD3 for Dungeon designs, and CD Pro for City Designs, though CC3 can stumble through those other two. ProFantasy has a suite of applications - so that's one thing to consider.

Another direction would be to go the route of Inkscape/GIMP, which are basically FREE versions of Illustrator/Photoshop. Note these applications are fairly complex with steep learning curves, but we have a boatload of tutorials to get you in the direction you need to go. These aren't mapping apps per se, rather graphics apps - both vector and raster art.

Visit our software list to learn about all these applications...
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1407

You might also start with our introduction to digital cartography, here...
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1033

It really depends on your goals, your skills, what you're willing to learn, and whether you want to spend money on it.

I for example use Xara Xtreme Pro 3.2 - a hybrid raster/vector graphics application for all my mapping, and I'm almost alone here to using this software - only because I use it in my day job and am very familiar.

There are so many directions to go, I don't want to choose for you!

Again, welcome and start exploring - once you got software, start checking out our avaialalbe tutorials (which may help you decide on software as well.)

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome! Take a look through the forums for a bit and pick out some maps you like and would like to emulate. CC3 is a fine program, but it isn't the only option out there. And, honestly, if your resources are limited, I am of the opinion that money is better spent on a tablet for use in Gimp or Inkscape than on software. At least at first. So find an example or two of what you'd like to do, and we can guide you toward the best tools to accomplish it.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Welcome to the Guild.

Hmmm, CC3, what can't it do. Well, it can't bring me COFFEE NO MATTER HOW MUCH I ASK!!!!!!!!!!

There, now that I have another cup of coffee. lets see what it CAN do.

Can it make a spiffy overland map? Yes, Yes it can.

Can it make a Spiffy Dungeon or building map? Yes, Yes it can.

Can it make a mondo cool city map? Yes, yes it can.

Can I make cool planets and space ships and such? Once again, yes it can

Can I link all together in one BIG interactive atlas style thing? You betcha!

Can I make cool Dioramas for table top gaming? You betcha! In fact Ralf, who is one of the lead mappers etc, with Profantasy put out plans to make Imperial Star Destroyers from Star Wars for use in a table top game. But really, you can use the program to make anything as a stand-up paper model.

CC3 is extremely versatile and there is little it can;t do, but that versatility does come at a price. It is expensive to get it all (but can be done on the cheap by purchasing bundles), and there are certainly other things out there like GIMP that are cheaper.

And then of course, some people claim the learning curve is steep, but I personally don't see it. It is certainly not as steep as I find programs like GIMP or Photoshop, so I guess it's all a matter of personal expectations. If you follow the tutorials and make a simple map via those tutorials, then you've learned 90% of the software. Sure there are still things about CC3 I don;t know, but what I don;t know are enhancements to the software.

But as a CC3 boy, I of course support that product, so, research, and best of luck i your quest.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thanks for the warm welcome and friendly advice.