Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice at XIX-century map style

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This looks really nice and it also appears that that I gotta break out my grunge brushes and dirty up my tutorial map.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Hoel View Post
    Beautiful!
    Are you hand drawing or is it vector (CC)?
    It's Mostly Raster, but some elements (i.e. rivers) will be done with Vectors.

Currently I'm still trying to figure out the best way to draw the Rivers. I think that best will be creating them just by stroking a very thin, black line (just like they're shown examples). How do You think? Maybe You got a better idea?

Ok. After a short break, another WIP of my works.
    For this moment I've completely stopped improving rivers and mountains, and I've put some emphasis at the 'political' side of my project. Currently, I'm developing the political borders.

Country names are based on quasi-russian ones,
    the map legend - both flags are made (and 'invented') completely by myself, the text means:
    Panstwo = State (a big totalitarian confederation of smaller Provinces - at map - all countries signed with 'yellow')
    Cesarstwo Poludniowe - South Empire - the last existing remnant of enormous empire, that was in lead of those terrains in past (after the secession, the North Empire completely subdivided and disappeared).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MapaGranicy Szpan copy.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	10249  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You should think about entering this in this month's challenge. A little more work and it should fit right in.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

This is great stuff! I love the old, dirty paper look. It gives it good authority and realism.

I would love to be able to map something like this in the near future. I will follow your post and try to learn from it!

Good luck and have fun!
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."
    - Louis-Hector Berlioz

All my work is released under the Creative Commons 3 license. Feel free to use and copy, but please give credit where it's due

The paper looks great, the washed out colors look great, and is that Polish? My gramps would kill me for not recognizing it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General
    You should think about entering this in this month's challenge. A little more work and it should fit right in.
    Wow, thanks, this is a big honor to me, if You say that. But, to be honest, the topic of this months challenge looks perfect for me. Maybe I'll think about this, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension
    The paper looks great, the washed out colors look great, and is that Polish? My gramps would kill me for not recognizing it.
    Yep, that's Polish. ; ) Congratulation for recognizing it just with few word's.

I must confess...I want some pierogies now and maybe some gwumpkie (sp?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I must confess...I want some pierogies now and maybe some gwumpkie (sp?)
    'Pierogi' very well ;D

'gwumpkie' - You mean stuffed cabbage? If yes, the spelling is 'Golabki".

But congratulations to You, I'm fully impressed

Gotcha, just going by how my gramma used to say it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast