Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice at XIX-century map style

Help Looking for advice at XIX-century map style

Hi everyone.
    At the beginning I would ask for some tolerance cause of mine imperfect English. I'm a foreigner.
    I hope I've posted it in right place.

I would appreciate, if You could help me with my Map Creating Plans. Currently I'm working on a map for my own RPG System. Game is situated more or less in a world, in which people have reached technology similar to Earth's at the turn of the XIX and XX century. In this case, I want also to create a map that looks like those one, that were created at this time.

The problem is, that I have no idea, how to give my maps a looks that is even just familiar to it.

Can You provide me some solutions, maybe a tutorial, or links to Photoshop Plug-ins that would help me? I will be very thankful.
    Especially, I would want to know how to make XIX/XX style mountains.

I'm working with Photoshop CS2; and I would appreciate, if You could tell me how to do it using Photoshop, not anything else.

I attach some XIX/XX map's to give You a closer look for the effect, that I want to gain.

Thanks for Help,
    Qbista
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WOR106.jpg 
Views:	2973 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	8689   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	africa_1890.jpg 
Views:	601 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	8690   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	somerset_map.jpg 
Views:	788 
Size:	508.1 KB 
ID:	8691   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Congress_Poland_map_19th_century.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	470.7 KB 
ID:	8692   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	russia_europe_19_century.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	1,003.8 KB 
ID:	8693  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I do not know of any tutorial out there floating around to accomplish this style. I also do not know of a plug-in. Here's the trick with this style of map...it's basically all lines defining the shape of the landmasses, then overloaded with text and a little color. I've always liked this style as well and I think what I'll do is make up my own tutorial for it (using Photoshop). Hang tight and I'll see if I can have it done within the week.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Well, actually there is

Problem is the tutorial is Profantasy's suite of software, CC3 and was the first Style Pack available with their 2007 Annual:

http://sub.profantasy.com/2007/

The Map style was based of the Mercator Map style of renowned mapper Gerard Mercator, From Profantasy's site:

For a time the principal center of map making and map printing was in the Netherlands. Gerard Mercator is the most famous of those cartographers and therefore this map style is named in his honor. The Flemish mathematician, printer and mapmaker (born 1512, died 1592) compiled the first modern world atlas (titled "Theatrum Orbis Terrarum") and invented the map projection that still bears his name today.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Well, actually there is

Problem is the tutorial is Profantasy's suite of software, CC3 and was the first Style Pack available with their 2007 Annual:

http://sub.profantasy.com/2007/

The Map style was based of the Mercator Map style of renowned mapper Gerard Mercator, From Profantasy's site:
    Thanks for looking.
    Hmn...
    Always a step forward, I think. Few months ago I was doing some stuff in CC3, so maybe after a short refresh I'll be able enough to get a use of it. Maybe it's the appropriate time to say "sorry" to my CC3 (which I hope is still dumped on CD somewhere in my cabinet) - for $40 I can give it a try.

But maybe You'll be able to give me some advice's how to get that effect in Photoshop. I think I'm albe to do most of those, but I've got no idea how to created those mountains and similar paper texture. (most of tutorials give tips how to create medieval-looking old-paper, and this isn't the thing, that i want)

For hachure-type mountains, create brush that has a thin vertical line. Then you can use the pen tool to draw the mountain shape (draw it through the center of where you want the hachures to go), then select the brush and adjust the settings so that it shows you the set of vertical lines at the spacing you want. Then you can stroke the path you made with the pen tool, and the hachures should appear, following the mountain shape. I'd demonstrate, but my computer and Photoshop are in another state at the moment. I can't remember exactly which settings you'll need to adjust, but play with the brushes window for a while, and you should see what you need.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    For hachure-type mountains, create brush that has a thin vertical line. Then you can use the pen tool to draw the mountain shape (draw it through the center of where you want the hachures to go), then select the brush and adjust the settings so that it shows you the set of vertical lines at the spacing you want. Then you can stroke the path you made with the pen tool, and the hachures should appear, following the mountain shape. I'd demonstrate, but my computer and Photoshop are in another state at the moment. I can't remember exactly which settings you'll need to adjust, but play with the brushes window for a while, and you should see what you need.
    Thanks for help.

I've already tried some various combinations, it's quite this what I'm looking for, but still not exactly this (next night I'll waste looking for suitable adjustments ) - for this moment, I still need to figure out the good brush proportions (I've tried 1x8px [the best one at this time]; 1x10px; 1x20px; 2x20px & 2x30px [way too long] with adequate Spacing, Angle and Size Jitter) because it's look unrealistic.

Maybe later, after next tries, I'll give You an example of this what I've got.

PS. It's also good to knows that in professional English nomenclature this drawing style is called hachering. I was wondering how to call it, thanks!

Ok.

I'm leaving for five days to celebrate the New Year, but this doesn't mean, that I'll stop working on my project.

Currently, I'm off with the Continent; Some details; Coastlines and Ocean + Giant Lake.

Here's a small WIP of my progress. Tips, Comments & Criticism are welcome.

EDIT: Ignore the river. It was just a test and I completely forgot to erase before sharing the WIP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MapaGranicy (wip).jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	3.52 MB 
ID:	8760  
    Last edited by Qbista; 12-28-2008 at 07:09 PM.

Guild Member

Very nice. I like how you got the background to have that noise and dust and scratch. One comment. You have two rivers running from the sea (or are those fjords?). Rivers don't actually do that. They can arise in mountains or in lakes, but they pretty much always empty in the sea.

Because of the unadorned nature of this base though, I could be totally reading it wrong.

This is a great start and I look forward to seeing how it goes.

Very nice. I like how you got the background to have that noise and dust and scratch. One comment. You have two rivers running from the sea (or are those fjords?). Rivers don't actually do that. They can arise in mountains or in lakes, but they pretty much always empty in the sea.

Because of the unadorned nature of this base though, I could be totally reading it wrong.
    Yes, I know, that this River is "painted" completely unrealistic.

That pseudo-river is just a test to see how this style of river drawing will fit the map style. (To be honest - I do not like it ; ) )

I've just forgot to erase it, before presenting it here. Try to ignore it. ; )

But I can assure You, that in the final version, rivers will be done perfectly and realistic.

Beautiful!
    Are you hand drawing or is it vector (CC)?
    I like the coloring and the coastlines, but your rivers need some work to fit with the rest. I'll keep a look out for the finished map!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast