Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercator experiment

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wip Mercator experiment

Qbista had asked for ponters on 19th century style maps and I know that those alternate earth guys probably have much more skill at doing that style but I said I'd try to whip up a tut or something (in Photoshop since that is what he uses) and this is where I'm at so far. I downloaded the Africa map that he provided and set out to replicate it as best I could. The combination of a color and pattern overlay for the countries took by far the longest to get exact and of course putting in the text was time consuming as well. Let me know what you all think and I'll fix what needs to be fixed before writing up the tut. By the way, I know I haven't put the mountains in yet but that's a fairly easy part. The fonts used are basic Arial and Times New Roman with some minor adjustments to the height scale (80%) plus some bold and italics. The one font I couldn't replicate 100% exact was the word "equator" although I got it pretty close...it's some sort of typewriter font and I dumped all of those years ago. I'm attaching the Africa map from Qbista and my first attempt at replicating it in PS. A vector program might be the better option for doing the shapes and lines but I'm trying to do it only in PS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mercator style 1.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	8721   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	africa_1890.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	8722  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Great job Ascension!

I dub thee newly repped *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I zipped the psd and it's still 7 megs. My mail is AOL and I can only email a 5 meg file. Nevertheless, I'm ready to go with a tut unless anyone has some things that I need to fix with this. I'll give it a few days for replies and then up the tut.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Here's a lil preview of the map I did for the tut...now with mountains at no extra cost. All you pay is shipping and handling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	merc tut.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	3.68 MB 
ID:	8744  

Fantastic! Just a suggestion with the mountains though - the lines on that kind of mountain style (hatchure?) are usually tapered. Easy enough to adjust your brush settings on ps to accomodate for that.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Here's a lil preview of the map I did for the tut...now with mountains at no extra cost. All you pay is shipping and handling.
    Lemme guess $9.95

and I'll say it again, great job!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ravs, yeah I know what you're referring to but I did this exactly as it looks on the maps Qbista had provided...they must not have invented tapering yet back then I can put that in as an option though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast