Thread: The Paltik Ocean region

Post The Paltik Ocean region

This was one of the first maps I made using my mountain style in GIMP which I was actually fairly happy with. I learned a ton of stuff creating this map and playing with various mapping styles and techniques in GIMP. I just found this map in native GIMP format while cleaning up my hard drive, and figured I would post it up to the Finished Map section in case anyone could have some use for it. I will be happy to post a version without the names and scale if anyone requests it. All elements made in GIMP except the Compass which is a Fractal Mapper vector image exported to png format, cleaned up a tiny bit and recolored. And yes... the coastline is fairly smooth and could use some fractalization... but at this point... I have called this map done since the test thread and have moved on to other projects.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paltik Region.jpg 
Views:	983 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	8500  
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 12-22-2008 at 03:28 PM.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The colors are very fresh and alive. The wood take effect very plastically, good! The rivers and coasts could be something finer.
    All in all a nice map!

Very nice colours.....and map :-)

Thanks everyone!!! Like I said.. I was playing around with making the mountains and ended up with this... I "think" i had posted part of this in a thread somewhere, but forgot to put into the Finished Maps forum, so figured I would get it up here when I found it.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Thanks everyone!!! Like I said.. I was playing around with making the mountains and ended up with this... I "think" i had posted part of this in a thread somewhere, but forgot to put into the Finished Maps forum, so figured I would get it up here when I found it.
    Since you found the original gimp file, are you able to re-create the exact process used on creating the mountains?
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Since you found the original gimp file, are you able to re-create the exact process used on creating the mountains?

Yes an no... The original just has the layer with the results (I have learned since then to copy/modify the copy), so that may not help you much.

I most likely was working on something similar to this post. I spent probably 5 weeks working on various ways to do some overhead mountains. I know at on point,I was working off of a 50% grey layer and drawing overlapping lines of black/with, where the place they meet being the top of the mountain "ridge". Eventually, I got away from that technique though as the black made the hole thing way to dark on the shadow side. If you want to give it a try.... just create some random white lines, leaving some room for the same size black lines on one side as the "shadow". Also.. leave some grey space between the white and black for some valleys. Again... This is not what I use currently as I much prefer starting with RobA's mountain angular gradient technique and going from there as I get more control over the final results(as you do)

EDIT: I also go over a bit of some of the techniques used here, though I don't know if how I made this particular map was covered in specific. I think THE most important thing I have learned over the past 6 months since I played with these maps is to use a 50% grey layer and run your bump maps on that layer set to overlay. This way, you can put it over any color and it just "morphs" the underlying color into a colored mountain (this is an over simplification of course... but the general idea is as said)
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 12-22-2008 at 03:26 PM.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials: