Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick City map

Map Quick City map

This it the city of St. Espene in my current PbIRC RPG campaign. The group is currently exploring a cave/tomb system under the cliff. I needed a map since they'll be returning.
    I've tried a few tips from the forums but I'm not happy with the result. The terrain came out looking pretty flat when wanted to show that the northern part of the city sits on a cliff over the bay.
    If I were to work more on this project, I'd probably add more terrain elements, a few farms, more roads and buildings outside the city and a ruin

Hoel, this is a very decent city map, thanks for sharing. Doing a cliff is hard and I think yours turned out all right. I like the fact that the city is walled into different areas.

I agree that the map would look better if there were some more terrain elements. Do I understand correctly you are going to leave it this way?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'm wondering if maybe some kind of crashing wave effect at the base of the cliff would help. *shrugs* Just a thought.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Very nice... The cliff is fairly good. I love the water texture... Not sure if the grass is a bit to distinct though.... I would probably put just a 1 px blur on the grass myself to give it a bit more of the watercolor look as the water. What did you use to make this? Did you hand "paint" those buildings one at a time or did you use some type of symbol/brush, or some type of filter? There are a couple of places where the buildings are outlined with a hard black brush but not others, so you may want to take a look at that unless there is some reason for that.

All in all, a VERY nice map. I guess one of these days, I will have to try to make a city map...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    All in all, a VERY nice map. I guess one of these days, I will have to try to make a city map...
    Yes, please! We need more city maps, so that I can ste... eh borrow stuff from you guys.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think the land turned out great. I didn't know what the shadow was for until I read that it was supposed to be a cliff then I got it. The water could use some help to fit the style of the land (satellite realism) but I might just be overly critical so don't mind me too much there. Overall, I think this is a pretty nice map and would definitely like to see more so that I can, uh, borrow yeah, that's it. Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post Just a tweak

The land has great colour and texture but its only slightly too uniform in brightness.

I put a grey layer above it 127,127,127 and then burned\dodged it to emphasize your mountains.

Does this look better?

Sigurd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City-Burned.png 
Views:	450 
Size:	460.1 KB 
ID:	8638  

I think it does.
    But hey, who am I?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast