Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burgenos WIP, as promised

Wip Burgenos WIP, as promised

As promised, the town of Burgenos. I'm not quite done, have some finishing touches here and there to add, and I'm thinking of adding some fields.
    Any last minute suggestions?
    I've tried to add a little ground relief and make the walls fit more with the theme since my last city map (St. Espene).
    I've tested the tree-idea Asharad gave me and it worked great i think.

Btw, i know the city layers are transparent and the coloring of the roofs don't work, I'll work on it.

Guild Member

I have no suggestions, but I seriously like this map!

Wow! This is cool. I can't think of any suggestions to improve this!

I like what you did there. The trees look great, and your relief on the hill side forts looks awesome.

I assume you mean the clutter west of the river. Thats supposed to be a large slum with ppl propping up shacks and hovels everywhere there's room.
    The town grew out of the old town at the mounth of the river and the rich people got the east side by the castle and that became the nice part of town, with merchants temples and official buildnings. The west side grew from a small slum to a huge slum area, merging with the large farms on the southern hill and starting to spill out beyond the relatively new walls.

The star shaped fort on the hill is for the local Paladins of Heironeous chapter with 'modern' sloping walls and heavy bastions.
    The older castle overlooking the sea is converted from a medieval castle

Oh, i really need to find a reason for the campaign to stop of at a sizable fortress, or find some other excuse to make a map of one.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Just a couple of things I might tweak...the road out of town would probably not be paved so I'd make that a tan (dirt) or brown (mud) and the buildings are all the same color of Mediterranean style terra cotta; need some variation in there. The land looks superb and the trees look pretty good as well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I like it. However, I think there should be more streets. You have some bigger streets which divide the city in several large sections. Those larger sections should be divided again I think, by smaller streets. It doesn't look quite natural to me right now.

And I agree with Ascension, you need some different colored roofs.
    Also, you might want to make the bridges stand out some more (by using a different, more stone colored grey).

I like your water, cliffs and general city layout a lot.
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 12-29-2008 at 06:13 AM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Thanks for the input, I'll go over the roads and recolor.
    I want to find a way to repaint the color of the houses individually (most of the houses on the east side actually are teracotta, It's a romans-with-firearms campaign) but it's really too much work. I tried using clouds but it's too big.
    I'm gonna post an update tonight.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Love the terrain, looks very natural.

As far as other critiques I think they've pretty much been covered already.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast