Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disney will not produce new The Chronicles of Narnia

Post Disney will not produce new The Chronicles of Narnia

The voyage of the Pilgrim dawn.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the studios Walt Disney said that more will not produce the third episode of the series of films The Chronicles of Narnia. The main reason that caused the abandonment of production was the drop in popularity of the franchise.

The Disney said the film would be leaving the low return on ticket sales. The first film, Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe, launched in 2005, generated more than $ 745 million worldwide, while its series, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, profited only $ 420 million.

Now the producer Walden Media, which launched in partnership with Disney the two previous films in the series, should seek a new studio to go ahead with the project of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Pilgrim, which is in pre-production , scheduled to take their filming began in January of 2009. According to speculation, the Fox can take the place of Disney, as it breaks a seal with Walden Media.

The Voyage of the Dawn Pilgrim a contract with the main cast of the other two films, which interpreted the Pevensie siblings, and the director is Michael Apted, from 007 - The World is Not Enough. More information about the fate of the production will leave in coming days.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Post Not a C.S. Lewis fan...

Oh well, I'm not a C.S. Lewis fan - I didn't see either Chronicles movies, thus whether a third one is made or not is of little concern to me.

I do get Computer Graphics World magazine, so I get to see the details on the special effects and 3D for most of the upcoming movies, including the Narnia films. So its not like I am unaware.

But then I didn't see any of the Harry Potter movies.

Only the Lord of the Rings was a must see, for me, so that's about the only fantasy movie series that I've managed at all in the last 10 years of movie watching. I'm still wondering if the Hobbit is ever going to be recreated, in the same vein as LotR, that's my only small hope.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I was a little disappointed to hear about that. Dawn Treader was my favourite of the Chronicles of Narnia. But to be honest, I'm a little burned out on huge fantasy epics for a while, so it wouldn't kill me to have to wait a bit longer.

It does kind of make me wonder what they're thinking at Disney--it's not like 420 million dollars is a trivial amount of money, even given the massive budget they were working with. I suppose if they overspent on advertising they might have taken a loss, but it wouldn't have been a big one.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think the problem is that the movies are so totally kid-oriented that they kinda stink, unless yer like 8. Kids are smarter these days and need something a lil less pandering. Although they were both better than Eragon, I liked Golden Compass more than either Narnia and I have yet to see Terrabithia. I haven't read any of the books so maybe the books are better.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    I was a little disappointed to hear about that.
    I don't watch movies much anymore. No kids, so I take my nephews to movies when they're in town, but they haven't been over in couple years, though I go to my sisters to them, they're in the next state over. I used to watch lots of movies. And if Narnia ever hits the Sci-Fi channel or other cable channel, I will probably watch it.

I read when I can - the last Song of Fire and Ice novel is the last thing I've read, and when I'm not doing that, work, gaming or family things, I'm making maps - who has time for movies?

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-29-2008 at 02:35 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I meant I was disappointed to hear that Disney wasn't continuing the series, not that you hadn't seen them! <G> The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was on ABC during the holiday season. It wouldn't surprise me if it becomes a regular holiday movie for the next few years.

Anyway, Ascension, Terabithia was not what it was billed to be. My wife and I went to see it, hoping for a fun fantasy movie, but it turned out to be My Girl instead.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Yeah I thought Teribithia was a bit of a let down as regards to what I was expecting. The movie itself wasn't terrible though - its playing on Showtime this month.

I liked the effects in the first Narnia movie, haven't seen the second one yet, but I likely will at some point. Hopefully some other studio/production company will grab the rights.

@GP - Last I heard Peter Jackson had gotten hold of (or was in negotiations to get) the rights to the Hobbit, it was owned by a different company than LoTR.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Yeah I thought Teribithia was a bit of a let down as regards to what I was expecting. The movie itself wasn't terrible though - its playing on Showtime this month.

I liked the effects in the first Narnia movie, haven't seen the second one yet, but I likely will at some point. Hopefully some other studio/production company will grab the rights.

@GP - Last I heard Peter Jackson had gotten hold of (or was in negotiations to get) the rights to the Hobbit, it was owned by a different company than LoTR.
    I watched the second Narnia movie two days ago and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was better than the first movie I think.

And last I heard they are making a Hobbit movie. Peter Jackson's involvement is a bit vague at this moment. I don't think he will direct it. It should be out late 2011 or 2012. There was even talk about a second Hobbit movie, a prequel to the books.

Update
    -------
    Ok, Peter Jackson is executive producer and co-writer. Apparently there will be two movies.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobbit_movie
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 12-29-2008 at 03:08 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    I meant I was disappointed to hear that Disney wasn't continuing the series, not that you hadn't seen them! <G> The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was on ABC during the holiday season. It wouldn't surprise me if it becomes a regular holiday movie for the next few years.

Anyway, Ascension, Terabithia was not what it was billed to be. My wife and I went to see it, hoping for a fun fantasy movie, but it turned out to be My Girl instead.
    In defense of Bridge to Terabithia, while it wasn't what it was billed to be, that's because it was a more-or-less faithful adaptation of the book on which it was based. There was no actual fantasy kingdom in the book, either. Other elements like My Girl are from the book as well.

Knowing more about the book going into the movie, I enjoyed it more, because I already knew that the advertisements were probably all wrong. This was a major failure of the studio.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Terabithia was a fantastic movie to me. Although anyone who's read the book would see the commercials and say "wtf are you doing director?" but the movie turned out to be a good tribute. Don't see terabithia if expecting a fantasy movie, its well done and sad.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast