Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burgenos, Regional Capital

If I label stuff I mostly use a glow.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Post Glow and fonts

I think its unanimous, because I prefer using an outer glow myself.

Make sure you use a readable font for your smaller labeling. Your title graphics can be as fancy as you need, still considering readability. The labels on specific structures, sites or areas of your city and outskirts have to be clearly readable fonts. Celtic bold is about as fancy as I get for label text.

On your glow stay consistent in color, however text over darker vs. lighter areas you might switch to white glow vs. a black/dark glow, whichever is appropriate. If some of your labeling must be close together, try to differentiate at least by placing text a bit higher, lower or otherwise off-set than the label next to it, otherwise it can get confusing.

That's about all I can think of...

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-30-2008 at 09:46 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Member

I vote on glow. I like the finished map, Hoel. You're so much faster than I am. LOL

But I've been off the board (just lurking again) knee-deep in languages and writing for the last couple days and a project at work that's just crazy. Got to finish by New Year.

Great work! Wish I could rep you, but I think I'm still under 10.

Blog Entries

Good map, as others have also said, like the fields especially. I think the trees could be a little darker and maybe the grass a little more khaki so that there is more distinction. City is great too.

For labeling I would put text in for stuff at this scale and leave individual building labels to a larger scale map of that bit of the city.

On a map like this, with potentially a lot of places, I'd opt for lower case letters on a coded colour circle.

Makes your pointer as small as possible without 2 characters after 9 points. The background circles can change for another info signifier. After that, you can change from circles to squares or whatever if you have more detail but the shapes are less obvious.

Sigurd

Who always likes a map without labels because my players would sail out to the your city title just to look under the letters .

Kudos to you, I love your way of doing things, I especially love the grass/forest, it's spectacular.

Rep from me, sir!

For a city map, I prefer a small number in a disc with a legend for signficant buildings, as Sigurd suggests, unless there is enough room for a full-sized label. I might put a more traditional label on important streets and/or districts, though.

I typically use a light stroke in a color contrasting with the text. I often play with the stroke's opacity and size to maximize legibility. Glows look nice on simpler maps, especially ones with symbols, but I think the extra area they obscure would be counter-productive on a map like this one.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12