Thread: Howdy

Post Howdy

EDG here, Roger Calver enticed me in to take a look at the place . I don't have CC3 yet, but am somewhat tempted... hopefully this place will persuade me to take it up .

I've got a strong planetary science/astrophysics background, and have been literally building worlds for years (I started off with Traveller, and ended up with a PhD full of internal structure models of planets ), and also spent a lot of time looking at the USGS Map Projections book during my PhD .

So if anyone needs someone to check for realism for scifi settings then I'll be around! (I'll warn you now though - because of my background, I am a stickler for scientific realism!).
    Last edited by EDG; 12-30-2008 at 03:43 AM.

Welcome Traveller.
    Looking forward to seeing your work.
    Someone who can spot flaws in starmaps is always a resource.
    Cheers

Welcome aboard EDG.

With your background perhaps you might be willing to help me out with some idea's regarding the impact that a planetary ring(s) would have on the climate of a planet? But I'll let you settle in before pestering you with questions.

Welcome to the Group!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Khairn View Post
    Welcome aboard EDG.

With your background perhaps you might be willing to help me out with some idea's regarding the impact that a planetary ring(s) would have on the climate of a planet? But I'll let you settle in before pestering you with questions.
    I'm already there .

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Someone with that kind of knowledge can help settle all sorts of random theories we here all spit out. You will be quite valuable to most of us if you enjoy your stay here. Our November challenge map was rather sci-fi and since then we've had all sorts of theories about planet formation and moons affecting climate and what not. Welcome to The Guild and I am looking forward to your contributions and sage advice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Welcome aboard indeed!

I fiddle with a lot of sci-fi stuff and having someone around to bounce ideas off of or ask questions of is definitely going to be a plus for the forum. I'll just have to remember to pester you in the future about a few applications that I've worked up for determining planetary temperatures and what not after you've had a chance to get comfortable.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    So if anyone needs someone to check for realism for scifi settings then I'll be around! (I'll warn you now though - because of my background, I am a stickler for scientific realism!).
    Something tells me that we are going to get along just fine