Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Antique-style maps in Photoshop

I could be doing something stupid but I followed your instructions to get the aging effect and it looks a bit off, too pixellated and too multi-coloured to me (at the least not like yours does!) Does it look like I've done something wrong? All my countries are in the "Main" group on the layers palette.

Please note this is a tester map and hopefully finished product will be better!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orkneyjar screen1.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	937.5 KB 
ID:	16562   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orkneyjar screen2.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	16563  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks like you've got it right so just turn the opacity down to make it more subtle.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Hello. I have a question about placing the rings around the continent. having some trouble getting it to work. here is the step.

Now we need to put in the rings around the landmasses so reset the colors to black and white. Click on
    the “land” layer and create a new layer. On the layers palette ctrl-click on the “land” layer…this loads
    this layer’s selection. Select > Modify > Expand = 1. Fill with white and deselect. On the layers palette,
    change the fill to 0%. Add a layer style of stroke, 1-pixel, black, outside. On the layers palette, right
    click on this layer and choose “Copy layer style”. Create a new layer and ctrl-click on “Layer 1”, Select
    > Modify > Expand = 2. Fill with white and deselect. On the layers palette, right click on this layer (it
    should be Layer 2) and choose “Paste layer style”.

i have a new layer above the land layer but when I try to ctrl-click to load selection nothing happens and select > modify> expand is not available. I am assuming that there has to be a selection of some sort. what selection am I suppose to load? what is suppose to be selected?

thanks

Well, first, your land should be on its own layer with no sea. Second, if you're using CS4 you have to ctrl+click on the little thumbnail in the layer stack and not just the layer.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Thanks. ctrl-click on the thumbnail does the trick. to complete the rings I keep creating a new layer, load the selection from the last layer, expand, fill, change fill to 0, apply the stroke layer style? just out of curiosity why the fill after the expand?

Because with pixels there you can always add other layer styles if you want. If you were to just select - expand then Edit - stroke you'd just have a line and you'd have to go back and fill the empty pixels with something if you wanted something like slight color variations in the "empty" space.

Default Map thus far

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antique Continent 2.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	925.0 KB 
ID:	21399

Hi. I am posting what I have thus far to get some feedback. anyone have any idea what a good way to get a nice strong stroke around the border of each country so that the stroke where the countries meet that is not situated on a river matches the stroke for rivers ans the coast? thanks in advance.

What I would suggest for that is to ctrl-click on the landmass layer, create a new layer on top and call it "stroke". Switch over to the Paths tab and at the bottom click on select work path from selection. Then pick whatever brush you want to use to make the stroke, then at the bottom click on stroke path. Delete the path and switch back to the Layers tab. Then draw in your nation borders.

Thank you for making this tutorial. Although I am inexperienced with PS and am using an older version (7.0), I decided to try your antique style - Tear's tutorial was my introduction to PS so this map is my second. In addition, I've watched a few YouTube tutorials. With that in mind, I hope you don't mind me asking a silly question: Why can't I find the "diagonal lines" overlay pattern; is it something I need to create myself? These are the preset overlay styles I have: patterns 1 & 2, rock patterns, texture fill 1 & 2, artist surfaces, and nature.

This is what I've done so far combining some of Tear's techniques for applications you described but I couldn't emulate (I turned off some of the effects from the background and landmass to reduce the file size). The mountain style you described I didn't have a problem with, but I didn't like the way mine looked - I still haven't decided whether the mountains I substituted works for this style of map. Because I couldn't find the "diagonal lines" overlay pattern, I used "watercolor" for the territories. I'll have to clean up the sloppy political borders, rearrange the cities more to my liking (dots/squares), and determine whether or not my rivers have too many branches before continuing. Any C&C will be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antique4.png 
Views:	340 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	21454  

Looks like you've done a nice job and Tear's mountains look pretty cool here - almost like a shaded relief map. I have no idea what pattern set the pattern is in, my brain is getting old. I know I made my own, various sizes and scales, so you can always do that but here's the one I used for this - it's 5 x 5 pixels (very small).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast