Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Antique-style maps in Photoshop

Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks Arsheesh! I go back and forth between Photoshop and Gimp, so either one is fine. I'll take a look!

wisemoon
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

Hi there! I have a problem. I'm stuck in the step five. For some reason, i cannot switch the black area for grey area. I don't know how to do it and i tried a lot. Maybe is the photoshop version (CC 14) or something i did wrong (but i followed all the previous steps like the tutorial indicated). Well, i hope you will give me a hand with this issue.

Sorry to post this on the thread, but i cannot send an MP to Ascension because i'm new in the site.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Iherbir View Post
    Hi there! I have a problem. I'm stuck in the step five. For some reason, i cannot switch the black area for grey area. I don't know how to do it and i tried a lot. Maybe is the photoshop version (CC 14) or something i did wrong (but i followed all the previous steps like the tutorial indicated). Well, i hope you will give me a hand with this issue.
    Hey,

If you don't have the 50% gray option in your fill menu, you can pick the color manually (#808080) and fill the selection with that.

-Dowly

Very useful and much appreciated tutorial: relied on it almost exclusively to produce this.

Credit for the brushes to StarRaven of deviantart

It's still pretty rough... I haven't really worked the borders into the natural geography well (and the less said about some aspects of where I placed the geography the better...), but I'd still say it's by far the best large map I've ever done. I'll almost certainly be using the techniques this tutorial demonstrates in any large-scale map going forward.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Annis Map lowerqual.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	69667  

Step 6 on post #5 tells to change the fill to 0% on the layer palette and then add the stroke.

When I do this on P-CS6, the stroke doesn't show (since the fill is 0%, it seems). I've kept the fill to 100% and deleted the color and then stroked, but this let the in-between circles white...

Anyone can help me with this step?

Banned User

It may be a problem with your stroke (color, thickness, spacing?). Also, make sure you are setting Fill and not Opacity to 0%. When Opacity is 0%, the Blending Options (such as Stroke, Glow, etc) are also 0. When the Fill is 0%, the Blending Options still show normally.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    It may be a problem with your stroke (color, thickness, spacing?). Also, make sure you are setting Fill and not Opacity to 0%. When Opacity is 0%, the Blending Options (such as Stroke, Glow, etc) are also 0. When the Fill is 0%, the Blending Options still show normally.
    I believe I found what I was doing... there's Edit>Stroke and Layer Style>Stroke, right? I used the Edit>Stroke and ss I understand it, they are different "types" of stroke...first should stroke the selection (and when I get Fill to 0% doesn't show) while the other supposedly should be the layer mask or something like that?

Banned User

Edit>Stroke will stroke the line you have selected and nothing else. It makes a line that is just a line thereafter, so if you set Fill or Opacity to zero, it will not show.

Layer Style>Stroke will make a permanent border on the non-transparent part of the layer. If you modify the layer, the stroke automatically modifies with it. For that, setting the layer content to Fill=0 will still show the stroke, but setting it to Opacity=0 will hide the stroke as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Edit>Stroke will stroke the line you have selected and nothing else. It makes a line that is just a line thereafter, so if you set Fill or Opacity to zero, it will not show.

Layer Style>Stroke will make a permanent border on the non-transparent part of the layer. If you modify the layer, the stroke automatically modifies with it. For that, setting the layer content to Fill=0 will still show the stroke, but setting it to Opacity=0 will hide the stroke as well.
    Ah, yeah...that's what I was wondering. Thanks for claryfying it. Too bad I can't Rep you yet QQ

Here's how the test ended...

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...295#post266295

Banned User

Virtual reps are always welcome, too, thanks!!

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast