Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Antique-style maps in Photoshop

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Excellent tutorial Ascension. As soon as I get my laptop back I'll have to have a shot at this in Gimp. The pattern overlay thing is probably the main thing that will need altered - but that's just a matter of creating a layer, filling it with a pattern and setting it to multiply. Thanks also for the woodcut stuff, I've always meant to figure out how to do that in Gimp hand have yet to get a satisfactory result.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Sagenlicht, does it have the ability to append to an existing file? I have had need to do that and only one of the three I have tried actually does that. I THINK, its PrimoPDF, but not 100% sure...
    I'll quote their feature list:

PDFCreator is a free tool to create PDF files from nearly any Windows application.

Key Features:

* Create PDFs from any program that is able to print
    * Security: Encrypt PDFs and protect them from being opened, printed etc.
    * Send generated files via eMail
    * Create more than just PDFs: PNG, JPG, TIFF, BMP, PCX, PS, EPS
    * AutoSave files to folders and filenames based on Tags like Username, Computername, Date, Time etc.
    * Merge multiple files into one PDF
    * Easy Install: Just say what you want and everything is installed
    * Terminal Server: PDFCreator also runs on Terminal Servers without problems
    * And the best: PDFCreator is free, even for commercial use! It is Open Source and released under the Terms of the GNU General Public License.

I never tried this though, cause I didnt need it so far

EDIT: I guess pdfcreator uses a queue for this... you will have to reprint your existing pdf with pdfcreator adding it to its queue then print your new file (whatever format, could be doc etc), adding it as well to the queue and then choose to combine your queue. Reads much more complex that it is actually . Basically hit print twice then say merge or whatever pdfcreator will call it

EDIT2: You can actually use inkscape for this as well I assume, if you have ghostscript installed you can simply import any pdf into inkscape. The Inkscape pdf import is pretty much amazing.

EDIT3: Link to ghostscript - choose the windows installer - the 3rd one (I assume you use windows JF )
    Last edited by Sagenlicht; 01-08-2009 at 04:39 PM.
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

@Sagenlicht - I can create them if I'm at work, but I don't have the software to do it at home.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Give pdfcreator a try SG, its just a small download and easy to setup/use
    My Map Challenge Entries

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Sage, Tor...thanks guys. Just trying to help
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quick Silly question... does anybody know how to get the sphereize effect with GIMP?

Nevermind Apply Lens is almost the same effect... and should be usable with sufficient tweaking... I'll trying and figure it out...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If you do find the crossover trick, feel free to post up a tut for doing this in Gimp...no need to credit me as I take no credit for teaching. That may have came out weird but you get the idea...it's all good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Notsonoble View Post
    Quick Silly question... does anybody know how to get the sphereize effect with GIMP?
    Filters -> Map -> Map to object (choose sphere). Apply lens is easier to handle though, so if you do not need the extra parameter from map to object just stick with apply lens.

One more thingie maybe. If you use Apply Lens or Map to Object (Sphere) results are better if you reduce your final spehre by about 50%. Which means you should start with twice the size you wanna have in the end.
    My Map Challenge Entries

Info PDF Document for Tutorial

Hello, Ascension and All.

First of all, thank you for this wonderful tutorial. I look forward to using it it create an antique-style map.

Second, thanks to Steel General for creating the Word document of the tutorial. I appreciate your efforts in this regard.

I've created a PDF document of this tutorial (link below) and have included in it the discusion concerning Ocean Rings as well as the discussion cocerning Woodcut Ocean Rings.

I hope you'll enjoy the document.

Regards,

Gary

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antique Style Maps In PhotoShop.pdf 
Views:	7679 
Size:	4.57 MB 
ID:	9283
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast