36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 75.00%
  • No

9 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Create a map with a tutorial on how it was made

Post Create a map with a tutorial on how it was made

I mentioned this idea quite a while ago and quite a bit of talent here and some excellent tutorial authors. What I propose is a monthly mapping challenge where each entry submits a final map in the opening post and then detailing in tutorial form how you used application X to get to the final map. The idea is that it would give our mappers a real challenge of writing up your process and carefully explaining how you use your particular software of choice to produce the final map.

For those who have previously submitted tutorials that take a map from start to finish, we would like to see a different style/artistic approach taken to the challenge map so we don't just repeat the existing tutorial.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I like the idea

And maybe the voting could be on how good the tutorial is and how good the final product is?
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
    I like the idea

And maybe the voting could be on how good the tutorial is and how good the final product is?
    That was the thought! Hopefully, we get quite a few entries and some tutorials with new mapping styles as an end result. The only thing is that given that you need a "final" map to start from, unless one is going to redo an existing map(or is super fast at mapping), I would expect many of the entrants to come in later on in the month.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Excellent idea!

This is an excellent idea, JFj! And worthy of the next challenge if the poll gets more votes. I hope it goes through, I like the idea very much.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

Yeah, like it. But it might put some people off having to write a lot of stuff about making the map. Still, I expect that the good maps and good (or at least detailed / clever) tuts would go hand in hand.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'll admit that this doesn't appeal to me very much, but it's still a good idea. Probably one I would end up passing on though.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

I'm all for it! In fact, I am sort of doing that very thing with this month's challenge in an effort to re-write my FTPro/Terragen tutorial (I still can't believe I actually submitted that first version as a tutorial ). Of course, this would mean that I, theoretically should withdraw from this month's challenge and wait for the Map with Tutorial Challenge to start (if it becomes a challenge, that is). Oh my . . . Decisions, decisions, decisions . . .

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Post Don't pull out...

Don't pull out, just do the same thing if and when a Mapping/Tutorial challenge is realized. Sometimes these challenge suggestions never make it to an actual challenge - that's why the poll so we can vote on it. Even so, this challenge may not be actualized for months.

So keep up with the current challenge as practice for that challenge should it become available.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Journeyer

I think this would make an interesting challenge, but maybe as a special challenge that runs for 2 months along side regular challenges? After all documenting how you did something would take far more time than just doing it, and I know I usually don't get around to doing challenges because of a lack of time, and I'm sure others have similar issues.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JoeyD473's Avatar

I think its a great idea, but I think participation wouldn't be very high

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast