Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good morning....

It's a good WIP. You got some good heights and stuff in there.
    There's some issues with water that I'm not going to touch, but otherwise you have a good thing going.
    Keep posting your updates

Welcome to the guild, Björn from Holland!

Quote Originally Posted by Argamas View Post
    Well, I've been reading the Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map guide and I simply got too frustrated. I didn't get some things and - most off all - made too many mistakes. I'm not sure if GIMP is something for me...

The Pyrandon’s city map tutorial was very nice however and I tried to work by it's principles on a map. Simply working layer by layer. Since it's too shabby for a WIP, I'll post it here

Suggestions are welcome, be gentle
    Welcome aboard

I am no expert but I can give you my 2 cents (hopefully they will be helpful). I am not sure what program you prefer so I will stick with general technique and not get too in depth.

Firstly your coast comes across as a bit blurred (zooming does show that you blurred the coast into the water). You can generally get a better look with a sharp coast (I like to stroke my coasts with a 1 pixel thick dark colored or black line). You can also get this by leaving your coast as is, but non-blurred. Next up, when it comes to layers there is no such thing as too many (well up until the point that they are hogging all your RAM). For example you might want to totally separate your water and your land so that you can texturize them separately. This is also really good with making your land 3d. You can use a black and white alpha map in its own layer, overlayed on top of your other layers, to make everything pop out. If you are having trouble understanding that part of the tutorial I am sure someone will be willing to help you out, this really is a friendly community like that.

Again, welcome to the cartographers guild.

Sorry for my late response. A lot of work this week and more to come... Might be a while before I'm back, but I will be back!!

Thank you for the tips. Some good suggestions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12