Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best fonts to use on maps?

Guild Journeyer

Thanks, this thread just sent me on a 2-hour font hunt journey. Some nice stuff there on dafont especially.

loyd

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah I used to back up my font directory...not anymore...I just go on font hunts every time I rebuild my machine just so I can find more newer fonts as well as old ones...Dafont rules.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

I just edited the post above per the recommendations.

A site I like in particular for all my fonting needs (not just cartography) is What the Font? Now, they don't have font downloads there (or if they do, it's very few), but what they do is help you figure out what font you're looking at. For instance, say you find a logo on some site you really like, but don't know what it is. You can put that picture up in WtF's forums, and within a couple days (sometimes just a couple hours), you'll have someone telling you what the font is, and where to download it. Very useful site, I've found tons of awesome fonts in images (like logos, etc) that I could never figure out what they were, and the guys at WtF figured it out for me quickly. Check it out.

The Campaign Builders' Guild - Part of the Alliance of Creative Communities, the Campaign Builders' Guild is your home away from home while searching for tips, reviews, criticisms, helpful hints, and resources for building a wonderful campaign setting.

Turtles All the Way Down - Blogging about Building Campaigns.

Can they also do standard print fonts such as in a book? I have a book that I would like to find out the font used for the three different fonts used in it.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller
    Can they also do standard print fonts such as in a book? I have a book that I would like to find out the font used for the three different fonts used in it.
    I don't know if that one does, but I have used http://www.identifont.com/ often to figure out a font.

Just keep answering the questions. The bigger the text sample you have the more accurate it is.

-Rob A>

Thank you. I'll give it a shot.

One of my faves, in case it got missed:

http://www.blambot.com/

NymTevlyn

I prefer to use clean, easy to read fonts for every map. Even if it's just a player hand out. People back "then" needed to be able to read it too. Fancy, flowery lettering wouldn't be something most people would scratch out on a map real quick. Maybe for a commissioned map that someone's paying a lot for they would though.

My preferred font is Copperplate Gothic. Clean and has just enough of a hint of something else to break up the lines.

Blambot specializes in comic book style lettering fonts, which also lend themselves very well to mapping. Plus several have that "handwritten" look to them...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast