Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grass in Photoshop

Guild Member

Thank you for this tutorial. This is exactly what I was looking for for my map.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

OK, so I tried this and I'm wondering...what's the point of the useless brown layer and the useless first noise layer? They don't show through unless you change a blend mode. Is there a step missing?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    The tut is a bit difficult to follow, but it does work, and you don't need a photo for it. If I remember when I get back home in a week or so, I'll try to elucidate it.
    That would be great!

Great that someone found a use for it.

@Ascension: The dirt-layer and the noise belonging to it is there so that you can erase some grass and have dirt show through. I didn't think it looked good so I decided not to include that last step. When I took that decision, I didn't think of the fact that it would render the first steps useless. There you have the point of them atleast. Sorry for the trouble :p
    Last edited by Teyrnas; 01-01-2009 at 05:12 PM.

Gotcha. Duh, now I feel dumb; of course I do that a lot.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Here's that forest texture tutorial I promised:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...3931#post43931
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Novice

Very, very good; and oh so simple - yet again Cartographers Guild come to the fore. Here is my effort of straight grass.

Instead of using clone brush and so on I increased the size of the image to 270 x 270 and cropped a 250 x 250 square out of the middle. Whether by luck or design, it is makes a good tile andI started to play.

When it was mentioned about the purpose of the brown dirt and first white noise layer being used for paths, I fiddles about and came up with this in about 5-10 minutes.

I live in an area of chalky sol so something like this seems 'right' to my mind. I erased a section of the grass layer with a 25 pixel feathered path through the grass. Then I lowered the size of the brush to 15 px and erased a similar path through the white layer which gave the dirt path a white chalky border.

I could possibly have used a path tool, though am not too sure about how that would look, but I think that would have left me with a path that was too neat. By doing it freehand I think it looks more natural.

I then applied an inner bevel; smooth with a -45 degree shading; global; at 32 degrees to provide shadow on the 'chalk' layer.

If using this grass for a tiling effect, then I can see how valuable this could be for this kind of terrain.

I played around with this a bit last week and forgot to post this...What I liked about this is that on a larger scale, the results can be used as pine trees. I thought that was cool for those of us who do regional and world scale maps but the "grassiness" eluded me on the whole. Neat lil tip though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12